Is this wall load-bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a redundant airing cupboard that’s been built of the bulkhead. The wall I want to remove is a brick wall and appears to be supported by the stairwell trimmer joists.

In the loft the ceiling joists span external wall to external wall, so I don’t see why they would be taking intermediate support off any internal walls, and so I’m 99% sure this is not load-bearing.

Picture 1 shows the ceiling joists resting on this wall and picture 2 is just to the right of the first picture and shows two ceiling joists also spanning full distance that do not rest on it as there is an inch gap between the wall and joist. Pic 4 shows what this wall is built off.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise me if in their opinion this wall is likely to be load-bearing.

I also attach a first floor plan showing the wall I want to remove in red.

Thanks for your time.

View media item 35461 View media item 35462 View media item 35463 View media item 35464

Sponsored Links
The ceiling joists appear to be running the long way instead of the short way across the bathroom. Some joists are bearing on the wall in question and some joists appear to be non-bearing and high. Do you have two levels of finished ceiling/soffit in the area?

The joists that break on the wall must be sistered with long running joists or the breaking joists must be tied in in the loft.

Can you post a diagram of exactly which joists are running long or breaking? Number from the left hand wall.

It's not a true bearing wall, merely a partition, and could be removed with due precautions.

Hi Tim

Thanks for your reply, I will do a drawing of the joists tomorrow and take some more pictures to give you more of an idea what is going on.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back