Load bearing wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was told that the wall to the right of the first picture was load bearing by a structural engineer (Who just looked at it unexposed and made an assumption on what he could see) and could not be removed. As I replaced some of the rotten subfloor this week I noticed that there was very little weight on the wall and that after cutting the nails from the base plate that there was allot of freeplay on the wall allowing me to rock it back and forth.

Above the wall there is a large wooden beam that spans across the room and into the brick work and directly above is the roof vally.

I also noticed that the wall is not really even supported by the large joists under the floor and just really resting on the OSB subfloor.

Is there anything I could do know if this wall really is load bearing?
I appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• 20151217_083958[1].jpg
    20151217_083958[1].jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 153
  • 20151214_173724[1].jpg
    20151214_173724[1].jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 20151214_185753[1].jpg
    20151214_185753[1].jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 152
Sponsored Links
Timber stud walls can sometimes be load bearing - although the one in your photos has none of the features of being load bearing and just looks like a standard timber partition. I'd check above to make sure nothing is braced on top and if not you can do what you want with it.

Looks non-structural to me from the photos. Highly unlikely to be structural if built-off the floor boards. No sign of any inclined bracing in the stud wall.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys, appreciate it. I will rip the plaster off to expose the timbers just to make sure there is no bracing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back