Non load bearing walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a non load bearing wall that sits under a large bedroom. I intend to make a few holes in the ceiling to check that the joists span the full width. The idea is to remove solid wall and replace with repositioned stud wall. Should any special construction techniques be used in the stud wall to support the joists?

Sponsored Links
If it's not load-bearing then the stud wall can go wherever you like.

Are you sure that the existing masonry? wall isn't supporting the joists at mid-span? Even if the joists span the full width, the existing wall may be supporting them at mid/part span.

Check the depth of the joists and the span and post back before removing the existing wall.

They probably do support them mid span. If they do, will the stud wall still suffice? or should a different solution be sought?

I will check and try to take photos. I was thinking to buy a hole cutter big enough to fit my phone....

Sponsored Links
A load bearing wall will be on its own foundation, not the floor slab. That limits what and where any replacement will need to be.

A hole big enough for tape measure might be a better idea
OK, made a nice round hole, then discovered that a previous owner has filled the joist space with rockwool batts. After much itchyness I made a measurement from upper side PB to floorboards, ~7.5". The room width is 3.8m, so maybe back in 1960 that would have been a 13' joist and maybe 8" deep.
Because it was all feel and no look, it appears that the joists there, pass straight over the internal wall.
It also seemed that the PB was laid continuous, then the wall was erected up to the PB....which seems a bit odd at first, but then I'm no builder and wouldn't know how these things are usually done.

C16 laid at 400mm centres 47 x 195 would give a max span of 3.8m

I'd recommend you get the joists and wall checked before going any further

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back