Anyone know if this is a load bearing wal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m in the process of widening our bungalow hallway to make it rectangle rather than L shaped. This involves knocking down a solid wall and constructing a stud wall about 2.5 feet further away than the original. The original wall is only built on floorboards and the ceiling joists run parallel with it, and one sits on it. I know it’s a solid wall, but it’s a 50’s building and I know it is common for a partitioning wall to built this way. I’m sure it’s not load bearing, but wanted to put it to all the good folk here to see what comes back.

My question is: Do you think this wall is load bearing or not?

remove.jpg

KEY

Red: Wall to remove

Green : New stud wall position

Black: Other walls

Any feedback would be appreciated,

Rob

Sponsored Links
It's unlikely to be load bearing built off a sole plate on the floorboards. Have a look in the roof space to see if there is anything on top.

Looked in the loft. There is a roof joist along its length, but nothing else as this is a bungalow.

Sponsored Links
Here is a picure of what it looks like in the loft. Thought it might help. The wall to be removed runs from the bottom of the picure to the top.

RBM_0939_stitch.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back