Load bearing wall or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently purchased a 1930's semi where one of the internal walls was described by the surveyor as a load bearing wall. Downstairs it has apparently been removed and replaced with a stud wall. The surveyor stated he is unsure about the adequacy of support to the retaining solid wall upstairs without destructive investigation but he could not see any obvoisu signs of any structural problems. On the survey he classed it as category 1. The previous owners who lived there for over 20 years say the removal of the downstairs wall was carried out by the previous owners prior to their own purchase so no building reg were sought. I have no idea if a lintel or steel beam was used. Attached is the wall as it enters the attic. Is this a load bearing wall? how would a stud wall support a solid wall for so long? And why on earth would someone remove a solid wall and replace with a studwall?

I'm baffeled!

Sponsored Links
Usually these internal mid walls take the load of the first floor (joists rest on it). Above in the roof the wall often acts as a support at the mid point for the roof to provide extra support.

I am just about to take out 2.5m of wall in my own house and put in a steel beam.

You will need to do some investigation to see what you have holding the wall up. There may be a steel beam in there. Sometimes a stud wall can be built which is actually a structural wall.

I am not a builder, but further investigation will be needed, but if everything is fine after 20 yrs i imagine all is well.

That wall is load-bearing as it is supporting a purlin prop in the roof.
It is perfectly possible (though unusual) for a timber stud wall to be built to support a brick wall.
Maybe the people who took the wall out way back wanted an open plan and put a steel beam in(?) to support the wall, then decided they didn't like it after all and put a stud wall back?

There's only one way to find out, and that's do some hacking out above the opening to investigate whether there's a suitable lintel across the opening on the ground floor.

If the first floor joists go across the room parallel with the opening, and both sides of the opening, then the floor probably isn't supported by the wall. But if perpendicular with the wall, then they are dependent on support from the lintel in the opening.

Either way, the first floor brick wall is obviously dependent on the lintel - if there is one - as well as support to the midway of the roof.

Sponsored Links
Just out of curiosity, is this wall roughly central along the length of the elevation your house?

Its' not central, as you enter the house the wall divides the entrance hall and the front living room - see attached plan of house. The joists run parallel to the wall i.e. front to back. But in the attic there is a underpurlin prop resting on it supporting the roof. The wall which divides the kitchen and the back dining room also has a purlin prop resting on ti supporting the roof.

@Adam78;
What really is the problem if it's been like that for over 20 years?

If you want to satisfy your curiosity, then go upstairs and prise a few boards up to have a look underneath.

No-one here can say for sure whether there's a beam or not as we can't see that far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back