Load bearing or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to my own question but id appreciate some other opinions of possible.

Want to take down this internal brick wall which is 2 skin brick with a concrete lintel above the arch. Wall to the left is the outer double skin wall with a cavity and to the right is a stud wall which continues under the stairs.
20210617_122453.jpg

Above is a single skin brick wall separating the bedroom and bathroom. I wanted to remove this and replace it with a stud wall. This wall is already cracked and missing a lot of mortar. The floor joists for this floor and the attic both run parallel to the wall and are supported by brick walls at either end. So I assumed these were spreading the load of everything above?
20210617_122301.jpg

I assumed this wasn't load bearing until i looked in the loft directly above this wall. My concern is this pillar of bricks here continuing up from that wall supporting one of the roof beams. This beam continues to the right to the outer edge of the house and sits on the external brick wall. Not sure if this is structural or just added there for extra support as it was convenient?

20210617_122245.jpg

Sponsored Links
It looks structural because the bricks are supporting the roof purlin where it transitions to the hip. That doesn't mean the walls can't be removed but an SE would have to be involved, or an experienced builder. I am not an expert but a steel beam in the roof might transfer the load to the main walls allowing the ground and first floor walls to be removed. But the ground floor wall may be offering lateral support to the main walls so removing the entire wall might not be practical. As said you need expert advice, and BC approval.

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back