opening in load bearing wall underneath steel ceiling joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about putting a doorway though a internal brick wall in the basement of my house.

The wall is double skin masonry brick (ever 5 rows or so there is a row the other way tying each "skin" together, and a very small cavity between skins (less than 10mm).

The wall is supporting another masonary wall directly above, and one one side timber floor joists, and the other side timber floor joists, and a steel I beam which spans 3m and has a masonary brick wall built off it.

The place where I want to put the doorway is directly underneath the area where the steel beam connects to the wall.

I have no problem in supporting the load, and fitting a lintel, the area in which I need help is the lintel choice.

The door opening is only 600mm with a 150mm bearing each side would make a 900mm lintel. Would a standard steel reinforced concrete lintel be enough, or would I need to use steel? Where can I find more information about calculating the load where there is a direct transfer in a certain area.

Thank you in advance for all your help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back