Are these walls load bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20200424_214046.jpg
Hi,

Please can someone help? I wanted to remove 2 small walls shown in the picture. One of them has a doorway (wall A) and the other (wall B) is joined to a load bearing wall at 90degrees. I only want to remove the part of wall B that is on the left and leave the door way.

In the attic, wall A is perpendicular to the roof joists however there is a piece of wood on top of the masonry so the brick isnt visible at all as shown in the picture. There is a load bearing wall on the ground floor parallel to this wall on the first floor about 10cm away from the wall.

Wall B is resting on the floorboards with nothing directly underneath the floor boards. As I said, there is a wall joining on the right hand side that is load bearing. In the ceiling the bricks for wall B are visible but it doesnt look like anything is resting on it and it is parallel to the joist.

Attachments

• 20200424_214222.jpg
    20200424_214222.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 20200424_214205.jpg
    20200424_214205.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 220
Sponsored Links
Load bearing walls will typically be of brick, and come up from the foundations.
Partition walls are typically stud framing, and rise from floorboards to ceiling.

OP,
could you possibly draw & scan a rough plan view of the joists in the loft and the walls in question?

If they were added later then how come we can see the top plates of both A & B? The ceiling would have been covering a later top plate.
If A & B are accurate the plates are carrying joists?

Sponsored Links
If they were added later then how come we can see the top plates of both A & B?
Top plate?

Partition block walls were typically built on top of a dedicated timber starter plate and always finished just above ceiling level (11 courses). The ceiling plasterboard would then be butted up to the blocks to 'trap' the wall in.

Last edited:
I have been on jobs where the ceilings were tacked first and then the blockwork taken up to the boards.

I have been on jobs where the ceilings were tacked first and then the blockwork taken up to the boards.
I have never seen a '60's, 70's or 80's - 3" partition block wall that did not finish above the ceiling line. They were deliberately built this way - probs for stability.

We have built many a 100mm ground floor block wall ourselves that finish below (but abutting to) the ceiling.

Was not uncommon in the 70's. I suppose it made it easier to tack the ceilings. In the 80's I don't recall using 2 or 3 inch blocks upstairs, it was mainly studwork.

Hi, It's a 1950s house. We've had someone round today who seems to think B can be taken down but before A is taken down a joist hanger will be needed. I'm not sure what makes a top plate or wall plate, but @bobasd only wall A seems to have a top plate? The wood plate is only on top of wall A and doesnt extend any further

Radders_23,

noseall still doesn't understand that his original sweeping irresponsible claims were wrong - and he's been digging deeper ever since.
He's constantly doing this kind of thing - talking nonsense one minute and denying it the next.
His idea of a technical argument is to attempt to make ethnic insults - facts & photos are threatening to the compulsively ignorant.

Stop noseall, you simply dont know what your talking about, & you could have caused an accident in Radders_23's house.
I repeat, your post was dangerous and could have caused an accident.

Bobasd I will try and post a sketch tomorrow. With the current situation I am hesitant to invite more people around in person to look at the walls. Unfortunately the builder today didn't seem too sure either and so I'm hesitant on how to proceed...

I'm hesitant on how to proceed...
Is wall 'A' 100mm thick? The images shows the section of the wall above the door to be 3" partition? 'B' is deffo not load bearing. (only just seen the other images oops)

Last edited:
In the 80's I don't recall using 2 or 3 inch blocks upstairs, it was mainly studwork.
Rare, I agree. We did a first floor wall demolition in a house last summer that was built in the 80's. It had 3" Celcon partition walls upstairs. Why the preference for block partition walls upstairs, still baffles me.

Last edited:
2 inch were the worst to lay. Even when the Hoddie used to drop the blocks down it used to shake the walls. Studwork always made more sense, but the public in this country always seemed to like the idea of masonry walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back