Installing electric meter cabinet in cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd like to mount a flush electricity meter cabinet in the outer skin of a cavity wall. I assume I need a lintel to support the wall once I've cut the bricks out?

For info the house was built in 1910, both skins are brick and the walls have cavity ties.

Cheers
Dan

Sponsored Links
I haven't installed one recently but from memory I think the opening only needs to be 380mm, so in a house where cement mortar was used the bricks would be self supporting. There is only one brick unsupported in the worst case so a piece of galvanised steel strip would do if you have lime mortar and it moves.
That's a very early cavity wall, I didn't think they were used that long ago.

Thanks for the info. I guess it's constructed with lime mortar based on the age of the property. I plan to cut a hole with a 230mm angle grinder then install a meter lintel, one of these should do...

http://www.trademate.co.uk/products...Level3=DG&SubDesc=Lintels+-+IG+Steel+Box+Type

I just have the irrational fear that the entire house will fall down when I cut the hole! The house is pre-20's from the design, as is the rest of the street, when were cavities first used?

Sponsored Links
Interesting stuff Tex so thanks. I must say that of all the victorian houses I've looked at built around 1900 I've never seen one with a cavity wall though, and that article says 'by 1900 fairly common'
I'll keep looking.

(Dan, those lintels look a bit over the top to me.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back