Fitting cabinet for gas meter into insulated cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having my gas meter moved and want to fit a built-in meter cabinet that fits into the cavity wall.

The small problem that i can see is that the cavity is filled with millions of little balls of stuff (injected cavity wall insulation).

I can envisage an avalanche of the little devils when we cut the aperture for the cabinet.

Are there any tips for cutting out the big hole while getting the insulation to stay put? I had thought about drilling a few holes around the perimeter and squirting expanding foam in. Your advice would be most appreciated!

Sponsored Links
You are likely to lose some of the insulation material when banging the bricks out, it's inevitable.

Once you have removed the bricks use some cavity batts to ram around the edges of the exposed cavity to secure the remaining material and to insulate the void remaining.

You could even trim one down and fit it behind the box if there is room.

Thanks. Sounds like a plan.

Do you think my idea of drilling round the edge first and injecting some expanding foam in is practical to hold most of the insulation balls in place? The wall in question is now enclosed in a lean to so moisture shouldnt be an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back