Cavity Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello fellow DIYers.

Perhaps you can help. I recently took a window board off in my bathroom (to replace it). When it was off it revealed the cavity which was empty. However, my EPC Certificate says that I have got cavity wall insulation.

House was built late 60's/early 70's. I've lived in the house since December 2017 - epc certificate was done in February 2017. There was no paperwork/completion certificate regarding the cavity wall insulation when we moved in.

The empty wall in question is above a shoddy single storey extension/glorified conservatory built about 15+ years ago. Would the cavity wall insulation installers miss out walls due to lack of access?

What's the best way to find out if there is insulation in the cavity of the other walls? Drill a hole? Take a brick out?

Regards, Neil

Sponsored Links
Look for the drill holes on the outside. Check with your council's buiding control history. Hire a thermal image camera

The EPC is not worth the paper it is written on. They are produced by trained monkeys and are entirely based on guesswork and speculation.

A house built in the late 60's early 70's would probably not have any cavity wall insulation unless it was injected later.

I had the same when selling my house this guy wrote up an epc report he didn't even go in the loft. Let alone use instruments thermal imaging etc to calculate heat loss. It's bullshit Mr hand man!

Sponsored Links
The EPC is not worth the paper it is written on. They are produced by trained monkeys and are entirely based on guesswork and speculation.

Oh so true! Mine from 2011 states it would cost £1200 a year to heat my home (3 times the actual costs) and that I have cavity walls, when I have solid brick.

How is that supposed to help a buyer?

Sounds like I should ignore the EPC then. Thanks for the advice.

There's no evidence of holes on the outside of the house where it's been injected in.

Average cost to stick cavity wall insulation in a 3 bed semi then? The company I rang yesterday said it was £760 which seemed quite expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back