Cavity wall/UBs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm building a cavity wall (from ground level upwards) which will have another new cavity wall meeting it at 90degrees, starting at first floor height, built off a pair of UBs bolted together (inner and outer skin). I've got myself confused about how the outer skin crosses the cavity - as the UBs are bearing onto the inner skin, its like the outer skin needs supporting across the 100mm cavity? or do you just lay a brick across it?
This must crop up all the time on a typical 2 storey build so I guess it's a common thing but it's something I've never realised until now!
Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
Yes you can bridge across the cavity, but you will need a DPC to stop moisture moving from the outer to the inner leaf and a cavity tray. Likewise for a thermal barrier.

So just bridge it with a brick? then a strip of DPC under that brick, and a cavity tray underneath? obviously the end will be seen externally on the facework so can't lintel it or anything

The actual detail will depend on the specific arrangement that you have. The above is just the principle.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back