Solid concrete and thermal block question

@pilsbury, this is standard construction for thousands of new build houses and has been used for years. If you put the your worry energy into building it would be finished by now :D.

Pb adhesive sticks fine to aac blocks.

Sponsored Links
Tomfe: I hear you! Got to hold fire for a bit and ask more questions/worry as I only submitted my building reg plans yesterday. Got a few things to sort while waiting ready for the nod..... or not!

This is how I would build:
Engineered brick /7n block to dpc
Medium block on the external skin
150mm full filled cavity.
Light concrete block internal skin, e.g. fibolite
Wet plaster for air tightness

150mm is still a standard cavity so you can get the ties/lintels. You can go with the cheapest cavity batt e.g. dritherm 37 and still good thermal performance. No worries about thermal movement from aac blocks.
OK you loose 50mm and it might need slightly wider founds but I think the benefits outweigh those.

150mm cavity is news to me. Was thinking 100mm. I'll investigate that. Kind of done my plans based on 100mm cavity. Suppose thermal blocks are much more important if I stick with the 100.

Sponsored Links
Clearly he means standard as in standard construction, in that it doesn't need an SE to design special restraints for a pair of independent walls. Misquoting doesn't really help the thread.

Helped a friend of mine build a bungalow for himself about 10 years ago using a 150mm cavity. He went over the top a bit with all the insulation as it's in a really exposed area, but he said it was worth it. Must admit the house always seems really warm.

I don't understand, are you saying it's not standard construction?

It's non-standard

Standard is something that's common or normal. Who is now building 150mm cavity walls as standard - Bellway, Bovis, Barratt, Taylor Wimpey, Anyone ....?

Are you saying 150mm lintels and ties are hard to find or need to be specially fabricated?

Why would you want a 150mm lintel on a 150mm cavity? What will hold the walls up?

A quick look on a few common web suppliers and they don't stock 275mm ties.

Woody you're scared of change? Does that mean you can't reuse all your old drawings and will have to make some new ones. Only kidding I am sure you work really well.

Why would you want a 150mm lintel on a 150mm cavity? What will hold the walls up?
HAHA, you've got your pedantic hat on.
I suppose you could use some no nails so stick it between the skins or use a 150mm cavity lintel, its up to you. These are readily available from any IG/Catnic stockiest.

You're kidding right, 275mm ties, you can get them at selco! Even ebay has them.
TP also have 275mm wall ties, my local actually stocks them but that might be down to me.

And woody you know what none standard is, a 150mm cavity would not phase a LBC and the big boys (Bellway) are hardly pushing the most inattentive approach to building are they.....

You said it was standard like its something done every day. I say it's not.

You've still not convinced me that it is. Who is building 150mm cavities as standard?

You're confusing 'a standard construction type' with popular.
In fact reading over what I wrote I did not say it was standard construction just a 'standard cavity' wall, it's just an accepted variation, which it is.

If you take most things out of context it can sound funny woody!

Yeah, I just tend to read stuff in the standard way. I dont know if that's popular or just normal, or something that everyone is doing though. o_O

150mm is still a standard cavity [size] so you can get the ties/lintels.
Is that better? Shall we kiss and make up?

P.s. if no one uses 150mm cavites then why are all these products available and why are insulation manufactures bothering to publish technical details with these 'non-standard' sized cavities. It's a conspiracy don't you know, I think I have to wrap my head in tinfoil now just in case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back