Padstones to Support RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to support 2 x 127x76x13 UB (bolted @ 600 ctrs) across an opening of 2.6m in a 28cm (11") cavity wall. The designer's 'program' suggests 250x250 padstones, but I can't locate anything that size. Do the padstones need to be in one piece on each side (distributing the load across the inner and outer skin of the wall), or would 2 x 300x140x102mm butted together on each side be OK?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We had always relied on precast ones, but not that long ago started casting our own, much more preferable.
We still buy the proprietary block size pads i.e. 440mm x 215mm x 100mm fellas, but always cast the unusual sized lumps ourselves.

We use heavy dense blocks and some polythene and make moulds, usually in the internal corner of the extension.

It's the ones that need to bridge a cavity wall that are the most likely candidates for a self-moulded pad.

We had always relied on precast ones, but not that long ago started casting our own, much more preferable.

I don't have time (the steels arrive today). My main concern is whether I need single stones, spanning the cavity, or whether two standard sizes, such as 215x140x102mm are an acceptable alternative. There are two beams, and both the span and the loads are modest.

The steels can still be fitted and the pads retrospectively installed by means of acro propping etc.

We often do it this way.

You could cast them this morning using rapid set. And the. Install the steels later leaving them propped so that the pads don't take the weight until Monday.

Time shouldn't be an issue.

Just use the two separate padstones!

Given the cost of getting the padstones off the shelf, I wouldn't entertain casting my own. I'll leave that to people who are working on someone else's time and with someone else's money.

Given the cost of getting the pad-stones off the shelf, I wouldn't entertain casting my own. I'll leave that to people who are working on someone else's time and with someone else's money.
That's fine as long as you can find the size you need.

We only cast the stones we can not buy off the shelf.

Otherwise it is a time consuming faff getting stones made to measure. I certainly wouldn't entertain spending the customers money chasing and fetching for a couple of specials.

Given the cost of getting the padstones off the shelf, I wouldn't entertain casting my own. I'll leave that to people who are working on someone else's time and with someone else's money.

If you can get them delivered that's fine. Nice and easy; but often on a building site there are concrete materials and OSB lying around and a couple of tiny pads like that would take no time to form and pour. The simple answer is do the easiest thing for you either is acceptable.

I can't really believe a set of beams that size needs much of a padstone anyway. Just use a couple of concrete lintels cut down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back