Airline pilots both asleep !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is amazing!

"""Two pilots for Hawaii's Go airlines who slept through their flight's landing procedure were suspended for the careless and reckless operation of an aircraft, the Federal Aviation Administration said.
The pilots, who have been fired by Go, completed their suspensions on September 9, FAA spokesman Ian Gregor said. He did not know whether they were flying again with a different carrier.
Captain Scott Oltman, 54, who was also cited for failing to maintain radio communications, had his licence suspended for 60 days. First Officer Dillon Shepley, 24, was suspended for 45 days.
The National Transportation Safety Board had determined the two pilots fell asleep on the February 13 flight from Honolulu to Hilo.

Mr Oltman was later diagnosed with a severe obstructive sleep apnea. It causes people to stop breathing repeatedly, preventing a restful night of sleep.

However, it was still unclear how both pilots fell asleep on the brief midmorning flight, which was carrying 40 passengers. No problems were found after examining the aircraft's pressurisation system and carbon monoxide levels.
The pilots failed to respond to nearly a dozen calls from air traffic controllers over a span of 17 minutes.
In recordings, the controller is heard repeatedly trying to contact the pilots and talks to the pilot of another Go flight in hopes of reaching Flight 1002. "I'm worried he might be in an emergency situation," the controller said.
Finally, about 44 minutes into what is usually a 45-minute flight, the controller was able to establish radio contact.
By that time, the plane had passed the airport at Hilo by 15 miles and the controller ordered the flight crew to return. """

Sponsored Links
makes you wonder if pilots are overworked by airlines ? Bit like doctors being overworked and making a mistake during their work hours, your life in their hands?

I flew long haul extensively from 1986 until 2002. When advancing auto pilot & take off/landing technology came into being on 747’s, I was reliably informed that it was common practice for the guys at the front end to fall asleep & that cabin crew were under instructions from many pilots to check once an hour & half hour before landing that someone on the flight deck was actually awake :eek: so it's nothing new!

I concour, I studied Aero engineering for several years..... I can assure you that when it comes to flying control systems, the addition of the computer can be very dangerous - There's nothing better than the guy at the front being connected to the back end by wires and pulleys!

Sponsored Links
I concour, I studied Aero engineering for several years..... I can assure you that when it comes to flying control systems, the addition of the computer can be very dangerous - There's nothing better than the guy at the front being connected to the back end by wires and pulleys!
I can understand that, time they've posted the problem in the DIYnot software section and waited for the reply they could have overshot the runway, Remember guys and gals your replies could be life saving, answer promptly ;)

I can understand that, time they've posted the problem in the DIYnot software section and waited for the reply they could have overshot the runway, Remember guys and gals your replies could be life saving, answer promptly ;)
Nah, they're still on the conveyor belt trying to take off...

hide.gif

I bet when they were kids they wandered out of the bedroom and fell asleep on the landing. Still doing it.

da da da da da da di di di di da, da da da da da da di di di di daaaaa

There's nothing better than the guy at the front being connected to the back end by wires and pulleys!

At least wires and direct hydraulic controls dont get viruses, lock up or freeze like computers.

When the BBC finally introduced one man visits to remote transmitting stations, there was a function on the intruder alarm which indicated to the control centre that there was a man on site. After 30 minutes a local alarm was sounded and if not cancelled within 5 minutes the local police were called to investigate.

I am sure the autopilot could be programmed to give a wake up alarm every 30 minutes! If not cancelled within five minutes then the RAF could be sent to investigate!

Tony

Train drivers have to press a button every minute or the brakes go on.

Sponsored Links
Back