Alarm being wired into the lighting circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing the entire alarm system in the house as it is a bit of a mess. I know there is a separate section for that so I won't go into that here.

I intend to use the original mains wiring which off the lighting circuit. Is it ok to have an alarm running of the lighting circuit? I can't see a problem with it in terms of safety as the control panel draws very few amps but we are having an inspection done soon so before I replace the alarm I could with knowing if this is likely to through up any problems with the inspection.

I guess technically it should be off a FSU but there is ring main any where near the alarm control panel which I guess is why it was wired of the lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
The regulations don't say nothing else can be wired from a lighting circuit but it does say:-

314.1 Every installation shall be divided into circuits, as necessary, to:
(i) avoid hazards and minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault
(ii) facilitate safe inspection, testing and maintenance (see also Section 537)
(iii) take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit
(iv) reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents produced by equipment in normal operation
(v) mitigate the effects of electromagnetic interferences (EMI)
(vi) prevent the indirect energizing of a circuit intended to be isolated.
314.2 Separate circuits shall be provided for parts of the installation which need to be separately controlled, in such a way that those circuits are not affected by the failure of other circuits, and due account shall be taken of the consequences of the operation of any single protective device.

Now it is up to the inspector to decide if it complies or not. Personally I would want to see a means of isolation be it a bathroom fan or an alarm panel you want should anything go wrong a way to turn just that bit off so a FCU would be the norm.

Thanks yep the lack of isolation is my main concern, currently I have isolate the downstairs lighting which is a problem when wiring the control panel!.

We want the spark to add several extra sockets, maybe one in the hall then we could simply spur of a FCU from that.

The original alarm was wired by an electrician but it was done as a favour for free.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't really make any difference whether the alarm is supplied from the lights, the sockets, or it's own dedicated circuit.

Just make sure you've got an unswitched fused spur next to the panel so you can isolate it for maintainence purposes.

Well I am now planning of a slightly different design which involves getting rid of all the wiring in the hall so that circuit can be isolated. I will then put the control box hidden in a cupboard with a wireless keyboard in the hall.

I would for now feed the system of a plug until I get the inspection done and I will ask the electrician then to put on its own spur. The electrician can then decide where the best place to feed the control box.

Just sick of wires every where so decided to with a Honeywell Galaxy system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back