Alarm choice help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be moving house soon and want to organise getting an alarm sorted.

At the moment I'm leaning towards a wired system, due to the fact that it won't need the batteries changing as often (bell box backup battery?). I'm in a limited space in London and won't have anywhere very handy to put a ladder and don't want to buy one just to change my alarm batteries ~ year, as this will probably not happen!

There is a kitchen/diner, living room and hallway downstairs with three bedrooms upstairs. At this point I guess I would need 2 x PIR sensors (living room & kitchen) and a couple of contacts - one front door, one patio door to garden. I haven't anticipated needing any upstairs as there is no easy way for someone to get in the bedroom windows.

Can anyone suggest whether this is enough to meet the bill or whether they would suggest more add ons/a different set up? I can be talked into wireless too if it really is going to suit my needs better but had a previous property with a 2 PIR & 2 contact system that seemed to work well (very basic).

Finally, while I do most bits & bobs of DIY electrical work myself, I'm assuming that a wired system would constitute a new installation and as such would require building control to be notified? Probably less hassle to leave to an installer if this is the case.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Why not get a local alarm company to do it allfor you

I dont understand how you will be putting up bell box if you have no ladders and are not getting any.

You could always hire/borrow a ladder to fit the bell...

I would be inclined to put a PIR on the landing. You may like to consider fitting smoke/heat detectors to the alarm - the Menvier M12 is pretty good. If you (or the better half) are worried about intruders at night, you could also fit a panic button in your bedroom or on the landing (but don't let the kids press it! :eek: ).

I'll not be talking you into wireless! :LOL:

I don't think that you need to worry about building control - just connect your fused (unswitched) spur to a ring main and not lighting, immersion heater or close to the water taps! ;) the rest of the system is 12V which is SELV - even safer than telephone cables.

I dont understand how you will be putting up bell box if you have no ladders and are not getting any.
Ah sorry. I wasn't clear. As EightyTwo suggests, I would borrow/hire some for fitting but just wouldn't want the hassle of doing this every year.

EightyTwo said:
I would be inclined to put a PIR on the landing. You may like to consider fitting smoke/heat detectors to the alarm - the Menvier M12 is pretty good. If you (or the better half) are worried about intruders at night, you could also fit a panic button in your bedroom or on the landing (but don't let the kids press it!).
Good idea. I hadn't realised that you could use heat detectors with an alarm system. Last time I just installed a mains supply for them but could have maybe added them to the alarm in hindsight, though it was an ancient thing so maybe not. Im not too bothered about a panic button - its more as a deterrent when we're not there which will at least make some noise if the worst happens.

Any suggestions as to a reliable, reasonably priced, panel and bell box to go for? I assume they normally come as a standard package and any add ons can just be purchased extra?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Lots of people on this site recommend Texecom kit. We don't use it so I can't comment personally. There are also lots of postings on how to set it up.

I like panels with a proper LCD keypad - they tell you exactly what's going on and the log entries will have a time and date stamp. You can also use the log to check when your cleaner/dog walker/children are coming and going! ;)

Take a look at the Galaxy G2-12 with LCD keypad. New for £60 on ebay. You can even add IP based remote connectivity for under £50. I don't think there's another G2 quality panel at that price.

Plenty of folks on here to guide you with the install too.

Borrow a ladder i once looked at hiring a ladder

Cost as much as buying one give or take a few quid. So i bought it delivered to house then sold it buyer collected cost next to nothing.

You have to decide what you want the panel to do and how much you want to spend and how technical you are prepared to get.

I agree an lcd keypad is better to see whats going on rather than looking at leds and cross referencing them.

Wireless is okay but is exoensive compared to hard wired, some wireless systems are not completly wirless anyway.

Ask yourself what do i need.

Keypad led or lcd
Bell box
Door contact
Pirs
And whether you need a DT over a standard PIR from what you have said entry level detectors like texecom reflex should be fine.

You can go further down your list of needs with do i want a global tamper circuit or do i want to know which zone has gone into tamper

Do you want to connect to the panel with a pc or app

Do you want a speech or text dialler to tell when systems gone into alarm.

I hear so many people getting alarms then within a short while they decide they want it dothings it cant do and have to start again,.

Thats think long and hard about what you want it to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back