Alkali resisting primer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be painting a small bathroom next week where condensation is a big problem, the owner insists that he wants me to put oil-based eggshell on all walls. The paint is peeling back to bare plaster. Once I have made good the area by scraping and filling would I be able to mist coat the area with some emulsion then paint in oil eggshell or do I need to use an alkali resisting primer instead? Wouldn't the emulsion stop any reaction instead of the primer?

Sponsored Links
Emulsion might be ok but this is where I like Zinisser 123 as a primer. after prep, It will make all those different bare / painted edges into one substrate ready for any type of paint. and wont react on bare plaster etc.
This will take the place of alkali primer.

Oil base eggshell will be ok.. Though I try to get peeps to use dulux quick drying eggshell, Its pricey but no smell, and do in a day type stuff. But I know if cussies want solvent :LOL:

Good luck

Emulsion might be ok but this is where I like Zinisser 123 as a primer. after prep, It will make all those different bare / painted edges into one substrate ready for any type of paint. and wont react on bare plaster etc.
This will take the place of alkali primer.

Oil base eggshell will be ok.. Though I try to get peeps to use dulux quick drying eggshell, Its pricey but no smell, and do in a day type stuff. But I know if cussies want solvent :LOL:

Good luck

Thanks for that.

You say that the Zinsser 123 makes the painted edges into one, is it thick or something? I've never used the 123.

The reason I ask if emulsion under the oil eggshell will be ok is that the whole bathroom (apart from this one bad wall) has got emulsion on. Will it be ok to put the oil eggshell over this or do I need to coat the whole bathroom out with alkali resisting primer?

Sponsored Links
You say that the Zinsser 123 makes the painted edges into one, is it thick or something? I've never used the 123.
Hi.
No! I meant that the bare plaster and the painted plaster when coated with the 123 will become one similar surface, afraid it wont hide any scars.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:12 am Post Subject:
The reason I ask if emulsion under the oil eggshell will be ok is that the whole bathroom (apart from this one bad wall) has got emulsion on. Will it be ok to put the oil eggshell over this or do I need to coat the whole bathroom out with alkali resisting primer?

I thought o/p meant that all walls were flaking ;) Just coat up the problem walls with 123. no need for primer on emulsion. Solvent or q/d eggshell will go onto emulsion no prob. Just thin a little.
Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back