All Weather Plug Socket with Neon Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I picked up an all weather plug socket with a neon switch. I assumed that it would be the same as a normal socket, i.e. e/l/n in the right place, but this one has a neon switch which would appear to be similar to a light switch, i.e. L1 L2 and 2 terminals on the top. Am I right that I run the wire to the socket part and then run another wire from the socket to the switch, i.e. live socket linked to L1 and Neutral linked to one of the top terminals? Or do I just need a live to the switch? Help......

Sponsored Links
can you post a picture of the offending article? Does the switch have a rating? If its less than 13A, you cant use it for that socket.

And wiring it as you said would have dire consequences.

Live input goes to one side of the switch.
Small link wire to the other side of the switch, and on to the socket live.
Neutral input goes straight to the socket neutral.

GOLDEN RULE: NEUTRALS NEVER GO TO SINGLE POLE SWITCHES.

Hi, Unfortunately I cannot attached an image however, the back is laid out as follows looking down at it:

1. The Switch - Two terminals on the top, unmarked. Two terminals at the bottom marked L2 on left and L1 on the right

2. The Socket - Simply three terminals, Live, Neutral and Earth. It's rated 13a at 250V.

Both the Switch and the Socket are housed next to one another.

Thanks for your input and any advise you can give.

To me it appears that you have an unswitched socket with a double pole light swith unit.
What make is the unit ( I have my French, and English certificates and have worked all over the world as an Electrical Engineer

Sponsored Links
Hi, The make on the outside is Technova IP44. However, both the internal switch and socket are made byMarlanvil. Hope that helps. If anyone would like to see a picture, please email me on [email protected] as I'm not able to upload a picture to this site.

Hi Crafty1128,

As I understand it, the Neutral and Earth are connected to the socket and the Live is attached to Live 1 (L1). A link wire then runs from L1 to one of the the unmarked terminals on the opposite side of the switch and then a link wire from that terminal to the Live on the socket. So basically your running a live to the bottom of the switch which is then linked to the top of the switch which is then linked to the live on the socket. Is that correct?

Grandad-Seaweed said:
Hi Crafty1128,

As I understand it, the Neutral and Earth are connected to the socket and the Live is attached to Live 1 (L1). A link wire then runs from L1 to one of the the unmarked terminals on the opposite side of the switch and then a link wire from that terminal to the Live on the socket. So basically your running a live to the bottom of the switch which is then linked to the top of the switch which is then linked to the live on the socket. Is that correct?
no!! The live incoming goes to one end of the switch, and then a short link wire goes from the other end of the switch, to the socket live.

Hi Crafty,

Doh! I think I've got it now. Neutral and Earth to socket, Live to L1 and link from the opposite side of the switch to live on socket.

Thanks for all your help....................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back