Allotment challenge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just taken on an allotment in our village. Not sure we've got time for it, but at £7 a year we thought it was worth giving it a go.

Anyway, it needs re-fencing around the perimeter and we're thinking of using round timber steaks with wire fencing between. Will 3" dia stakes be strong enough, or should we go for 4" to make sure? Would it be worth using 4" anyway at the corners - for a bit of extra strength? Do we need any diagonal strutting to the posts for stability?

Any other tips on 'running' an allotment most appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
get to know your fellow gardeners.....they will share all their knowledge....plus most allotments have a "society".....usually in a big shed in the middle of the site.....in my area the gardeners join together to buy bulky stuff like manure and compost etc...

oh, a shed would be handy too....otherwise you will be carting your tools back and forth, also check where the water supply is.....you may need a really long hose pipe....so possibly rain butts or barrels might be needed.

have fun! :D

ps....no idea about the fence :confused:

Thanks Diane, will try and find out who the other allotment holders are - we've only been down there a couple of times so far as we only took it on last week, but both times there was not a soul in sight down there. There is certainly no 'cummunal' shed/buidling but i'll see if there is an allotment 'society'.

Shed is already on its way - its not that far from our house but we've only got grass and paving at home so there's no need to keep gardening tools at home. Good point on the water though - hadn't thought about that - we have got a water butt that we'll be taking down there, but it'd be good to know where the tap is! Don't fancy carrying buckets from home!!!

Hi Andrew ...well done you for taking on the challenge...just a couple of points, as you say you have a busy lifestyle so I would really advise that you don't spend out too much money until you decide that running an allotment is for you, they do take a fair amount of time and effort especially in the early stages. Is the fence serving any useful purpose such as keeping rabbits out, if not maybe its not essential. You mention that you live in a village so hopefully the allotments are safe and respected.
You don't mention if the allotment in a good state or not but one of the first things I would do is buy some strong black plastic or even use old carpet ...its excellent, and cover some of it over ...weeds WILL be your enemy, also the worms love it and it will do your soil good.
Its best to just tackle a small part at a time, plant something easy to grow and that will encourage you to keep going...nothing more depressing than a 'first crop; that doesn't come to fruition.
There is nothing like the taste of freshly dug spuds and home grown carrots so the very best of luck with it.

oops just another add on...compost everything you can...you will need it!

Sponsored Links
Susie, Thanks for the tips. Its going to take up more of the wife's time than mine - she's the green fingered one amongst us - i'm just needed for assistance to get it sorted out initially and for a bit of help to keep it going. But we wont be throwing an open cheque-book at it - not least because we can't afford to (unless we take our summer holidays at the allotment this year!!)

The allotment is currently in a bit of a state, the existing fence is completely shot - posts rotten and the wire fencing dangerous for the children so i think we're going to have to replace it. We do get rabbits and foxes around and about so we need to keep them out. And despite being a village, we aren't lucky enough to avoid a rougue element of bored youngsters so think we need to keep them out too. I think we'll probably throw some grass seed on a fair patch of it for the kids to play on and grow some simple veg to start with. My in-laws and my grandfather are keen gardeners so i'm sure we'll have seedlings and packets of seed thrown our way in due course... And the shed we've already got in our garden - simply re-locating it so no outlay there :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back