Alpha CB24 problem

Many thanks Boilerman.
Do you think the pump is ok then because the hot water works fine?
I didnt think the pump had any use with the domestic hot water, i presumed (obviously a mistake) that the water went through the system under its own pressure.....

I have a day off tomorrow and will look into whether there is a filter on the return line that is blocked, i suppose by flushing the system i may have forced more crud to sit in this filter...

There is definately air trapped somewhere in the boiler and because it is higher than any of the rads and pipework i'm at a loss of how to shift it...

Someone mentioned to me the diverter valve might need servicing, is this a feasable cause of my problem?
Would certainly be cheaper....

Sponsored Links
Pump is used during HW mode, so it is not the pump.

I did unscrew the screw on the front, had a little water and a little air then nothing, impellor hit my screwdriver, but not with huge force i have to say...

Thanks for your help and time Tony.

I am still suspicious that you seem to have insufficient pressure in your boiler.

You said that the gauge is at 1.5, could you increase it to 2.0 and see what effect that has.

Of course clean the gauze filter first. That will involve depressurising the boiler and check the gauge falls to zero when you do that.

I still take the view that you should have done the bucket test at the outset on the two problem rads.

Tony

System pressure is fine, raising it to 2 will not make any difference nor will doing the bucket test.

OP, you say the red LED lights up and then goes out. Are you sure as that light indication would result in no hot water either. When this light comes on, manual restting is needed to to restart the boiler.

If boiler is 24X, it does not have a gauze filter.

My email address is [email protected]. Replace 123 with ntl else the email will bounce

Sponsored Links
Just an update.
Thanks to all who responded and especialy DP.
I decided to bite the bullet and call an engineer to take a look.

As DP indicated in his email it was infact the diverter valve.

But, the inside of the boiler was in a bad state, it would appear it has had leaking problems in its life, and all the joints surrounding the diverter valve were completely corroded.
Because it would seem that the boiler was fitted first and then a cupboard was built around it, making servicing and trying to undo anything almost impossible.

Because of the age and the general look of the boiler we have reluctantly decided to have a new boiler fitted.
Although expensive i can forsee more problems if we try and limp the old boiler along.

Again thanks for all your help, it has been appreciated..

Once the seals and rings have been replaced, your boiler will be fine. But if new boiler is what you have your heart set on, do make inquiries as replacement might be a bucket of worms instead of can you have in shape of CB24

I rather agree that a solid old boiler is oing to be more reliable than a modern plastic boiler.

About 12 years ago I did look at an Ideal Sprint for this lady I know. I had expected that she had replaced it but last month she called me because the diverter had failed.

I managed to repair the diverter valve and pointed out that the boiler is now 21 years and about ready for replacement.

As she has just lost a court case she said that it was working fine and she knows that I will be able to repair it again in 12 years time if need be!

Tony

Tony, you must have a private line to the big man in the sky to know you will be on this earth 12 years on/ have full command of your faculties.

It was the lady who said that not me!

I did think that she was hopeful that I would still be alive and kicking in 12 years time.

But yesterday I met someone whose father is 80 and still working at heating and boilers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back