Gurgling Central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an open vented heating system with a Stelrad ideal wlx + grundfos 15-50 pump.

When the system starts each time there is a gurgling rushing water sound until it gets going.

when the system is up and running there is occasional gurgles (like blowing down a straw into a cup of water) and sounds of rushing water or air bubbles that appear to be starting near the boiler (cant identify the exact area) and the pump then groans as the water or air passes through it.

Have bled the radiators, checked the header tank and tried lower pump settings - no joy.

The system has been emptied and refilled recently - but the problem was occuring before this aswell.

Where could it be drawing the air from?

Is it possible it is coming back in from the hot water exspansion pipe that goes into the header tank.
does this have a non return valve in the line that stops air or water going back into the system.

help and knowledge appreciated
thanks

Sponsored Links
turnerjeremy0 said:
Where could it be drawing the air from?
a) the vent pipe; or
b) a subtle leak on a high up radiator; or
c) according to some people, a leak on a valve or connection on the low pressure side of the pump.

Is it possible it is coming back in from the hot water exspansion pipe that goes into the header tank.
No - not the expansion pipe, but it could be from the vent, unless you have a combined vent and expansion pipe, in which yes.

does this have a non return valve in the line that stops air or water going back into the system.
No - that would be dangerous, so don't even consider it!

Have a look at the pipework near the pump - do you have independent vent and feed/expansion pipes? If so, is the feed/expansion pipe between the pump and the vent pipe?

Hi, sorry for the delay in reply - have been busy tinkering with the system.
thanks for the info have been looking at the areas you suggested -

I ruled out the radiators as the problem now only seems to occur when the hotwater part of the system is running and only starts to gurgle/bubble when it is hot - problem dissapears on cooling.

No - not the expansion pipe, but it could be from the vent, unless you have a combined vent and expansion pipe, in which yes.

there is a bleed valve/vent(it is attached to a 12" vertical 15mm pipe) attached to the pipe work just after the hot pipe leaves the boiler. is this a vent you were talking about or is it just for bleeding air and should it remain closed.currently if i open it, it hisses then dribbles water(does this mean it is faulty or is it in fact a bleed and should do this)

i ruled out the expansion pipe which goes into the top of the header tank because i put a glass of water under the end of the pipe and every time there was a gurgle no water was sucked back in which suggests no air is being drawn back in.however it seems to be this stretch of pipe work that makes the noise(also attached to this stretch is the feed pipe, pump, and boiler hot water outlet containing the vent/bleed

are there any further tests i could carry out having narrowed the search down to this area and having found out it only occurs when it is hot?

thanks
jeremy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back