Gurgling boiler

Just had the boiler serviced today. Nothing wrong with the boiler. I spoke to him about the water trickling noise and he seemed to think it was drawing air in from the vent. Both the vent and feed get very hot. He suggested to convert the installation in to one feed / vent pipe instead of two to cure the problem.

Does this sound about right to you guys?
My only concerns about doing this is where would the air vent to, when filling the system?

I tried putting a glass of water under the vent pipe and this draws the water up from the glass in to the vent pipe when the pump is switched on and then blows air out when pump switched off. Displayed as bubbles in the glass.

I did think that there may be a partial blockage in the feed pipe or 'H' arrangement. Does this sound feasible to cause my noise?

Any more suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Also would it be best to run some cleaner through the system?
I'm not 100% sure there is a partial blockage in the feed, but its the only thing I can think of which can be causing it to make the trickling noise. When it wasn't doing in before.

If there are any other things I can try before cutting the pipes I would be very grateful.

An Update. I drained the system today, all seemed clear and re-filled and vented. Now pumps over only on CH and not HW. I get the trickling noise on both though.

Any ideas what causes this? Or how to fix it.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, yeah still does it on pump speed 1.
Do you think T-ing the 15mm feed in to the Vent further up would cure it?

its certainly worth a try, presuming you have eough room. It can sometimes draw in air if the pump is very close to the cold feed/vent.

its certainly worth a try, presuming you have enough room. It can sometimes draw in air if the pump is very close to the cold feed/vent.
On page 1 there are some picture of my layout. Would you mind having a look, if you haven't seen them. Do you think the pump is too close to the 'H' arrangement?
Thanks

As already stated, it seems that the expansion pipe doe`s not rise at least 450mm above the water level in the header tank. Having said that the water level is to high so adjust the float valve so that the tank only fills one third and dip out the access water. This in effect will increase the heigth between the the heigth of the expansion pipe and the water level.

The pump is OK where it is.

As already stated, it seems that the expansion pipe doe`s not rise at least 450mm above the water level in the header tank. Having said that the water level is to high so adjust the float valve so that the tank only fills one third and dip out the access water. This in effect will increase the heigth between the the heigth of the expansion pipe and the water level.

The pump is OK where it is.
Thanks, I have changed the level in the tank tonight when I re filled the system. It still pumps over. It is about 400mm from the water level to the vent pipe. I could try making the vent pipe slightly higher by about 60mm before it touches the roof.
Do you think this would cure both the pumping over and the trickling noise?
Do you still think the 'H' section is too close to the tank?
Sorry for going over old ground. Thanks for your help.

Posting a diagram of the pipework set up would be a help. Is the pump fitted the correct way round??. Have you tried turning the gate valve down on the cylinder return

By MV I presume you mean the multi position valve? If so the the MV is fed from the pump. The pump in pumping down to the MV, where it can then be directed to either the HW or the CH. The left hand side of the 'H' comes from the boiler I believe. I can't see the hole pipe as it goes in to the floor, but it does not go to the 3 port valve.

Hope this makes sense.

Posting a diagram of the pipework set up would be a help. Is the pump fitted the correct way round??. Have you tried turning the gate valve down on the cylinder return

I'll try to draw a diagram now. I will try the gate valve, but would this cause the system to pump over on CH?

I have drawn a crude diagram. Hope this helps. I have tried the gate valve but does not make a difference if fully open or part shut.

I cannot find a blockage in the feed pipe or Vent pipe as it joins the 'H' section with a magnet. Could this still be partially blocked causing the problem?

I am thinking of cutting this out and replacing to rule out a blockage in that area. This will then bring the 'H' section closer to the pump. Would this cause a problem?

Thanks in advance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back