Gurgling boiler

The only air vent i can see is the one near the HW Cylinder. I've just tried that and no air came out. I have a feeling its not air though as when the boiler is turned off you hear it bubble up the pipe. Thanks for your help.

I'll leave it a while and see what happens then. Its due a service too next month so maybe I'll ask them. Anyone know a good boiler servicing engineer near Basildon in Essex? :)

Sponsored Links
Yes I've bled the magnaclean, just water comes out. Not sure why its on the flow, its how it was fitted by BG before i bought the house. From what I have read on here it should be on the return!

Could the trickling noise in to the boiler be due to anything else other than air?

Sponsored Links
The "H"piece is to high in relation to the header tank, resulting in the column of water in the expansion pipe being drawn down and letting air into the system on initial pump startup. This can happen when the pump speed is to high, so try turning it down, failing this the other options are, to raise the header tank or lower the "H" piece. I also note from you photo that the expansion pipe does not rise at least 450mm above the header tank?.

blocked cold feed most likely. drain the system again and watch the header tank if it drains down quickly or at all.

The pump is set on two currently and switching to one, doesn't seem to make a difference.
Strange thing is it didn't seem to do this, or at least I don't remember, prior to draining down and changing the rad.

I guess if the H piece is moved down then the pump has to as well.
Also when the boiler is turned off you hear a glug noise which I guess is it drawing air in to the system.

There is not any room to move the header tank up. This sounds like quite a big job. Why didn't BG install it properly in the first place.

I have drained some out of the system and it drains out of the tank. There didn't seem to be any problem with that. Although I didn't have anyone watching the tank it all seemed to drain ok, and after shutting drain cock went to check and water level had dropped. I didn't drain completely as I have inhibitor in there and didn't want to lose it all.

I don't think I was getting this trickling noise before I drained down the system to put the rad in.
Is there anything else I can try to dertermine if it is the "H" piece that is too high or something else?
The boiler is due a service so is there anything in the boiler that could cause this?
I'm guessing that as it was installed over a year ago that the original installers wouldn't come out to take a look?

I guess I'll have to get someone in eventually, but want to do most of the leg work myself to hopefully save some money on the diagnostic side of things. So anything else I can check would be appreciated.

Many thanks for the help and suggestions so far.

if its due a service, book that in with someone decent, let them give you an opinion while they're there.

if its due a service, book that in with someone decent, let them give you an opinion while they're there.

Thanks, thats a good idea. Trouble is I don't know who to get in to service it! May have to do a search on the net i guess.

I'm hoping its something simple that may be rectified by the service anyway. Wishful thinking maybe though.

ok sorry, dont know anyone there, someone here might be out there. Try get a recommendation from friends and family.

Why not contact your oil supplier, i`m sure they could recommend someone

Sorry wrong post, please ignore

ok sorry, dont know anyone there, someone here might be out there. Try get a recommendation from friends and family.

Thats ok, thanks anyway. I'll have to ask around and see who other people use.

Thanks to everyone. I'll let you know how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back