Alpha CB28 no hot water - red led illuminated continously

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To start with I'm not an expert on plumbing or heating I freeze when anything happens.

When turning on the hot water tap the boiler fires up everything seems to work like normal, but as soon as the water gets warm/hot the pressure goes from green to 4 bar and the boiler stops, and before it stops you hear a noise like a engine has seized up.

The Central heating works.

Last week in the evening the water pressure in the area was low, at that time I did not know it was a problem in the whole neighbourhood I thought it was our boiler so I starting bleeding the radiators (I said I was not a plumber) and then added more water into the boiler with the filling loop, this did not help but as I was a bit stressed I did not fully close the tap :oops: everything seem to be ok. The next day my wife called me saying the boiler was leaking :unsure: when I got home I realised my mistake I manage to stop the leak by bleeding the radiators :).

But now we don't have any hot water.....

I assume some valve must have been damaged or ?

Any help would be appreciated.

All the best :)

Sponsored Links
Your expansion vessel has failed or needs recharging, see FAQ.

But there seems another problem.

I dont remember a overheat stat on that model but there usually is one and it may have tripped. If so that will probably need an engineer to reset and check boiler.

Tony

Your expansion vessel has failed or needs recharging, see FAQ.

Well I thought I'll have a look at the Expansion vessel so I removed the four screws securing the chamber panel but it does not seem to be possible to remove it, are there any other screws I need to remove, there is a big bolt in the middle but its not mentioned anywhere in the Installation and servicing Instructions.

You won't find the exp vessel inside the combustion chamber that you have attempted to open. For safety's sake get it checked by a pro. The exp vessel is external at the back, but I think you may need some help.

Sponsored Links
Having disturbed the combustion chamber I think he needs help from an RGI to check it for safety.

A DIYer should not be opening the combustion chamber!

Tony

Tony & Pete thank you.

I was not planning on entering the combustion chamber, I was following the Installation and servicing Instructions - looking at the Boiler schematic the exp vessel is inside - was only planning on doing step 4 below.

4. Remove the four screws securing the room sealed chamber panel and remove the panel, taking care not to damage the seal.

5. Remove the four screws securing the combustion chamber front cover and remove the cover.

//Rick

You should not be trying to access the space where combustion takes place.
The exp vessel is NOT in there.

I see where the OP is coming from as he thinks he isn't actually in the combustion chamber, rather in the room sealed chamber and behind that sits the sealed combustion chamber, fan etc. Though as everyone has rightly said, the second you break that seal Rick you are compromising the combustion space and you need to be Gas Safe to safely and legally remove that cover unfortunately.
It is a shame though as 45 has also said as your expansion vessel pressure point is accessed from above and behind the case itself and not where you are at the moment...Page 18 - Para 7.1 Point 6 (2)[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back