Alpha CD18R boiler - heat exchange "swapping"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After 12 years of faithful service, the caked up heat exchange in my CD18R boiler gave up late last year. We live in Kent and the water is very hard and the limescale build up restricted flow and led to a crack in the exchange too.

This was replaced and the results were immediate (rads everywhere got nice and hot and hot water was quicker to arrive in the tank). Some years ago I did fit a "scale wizard", and whilst I fully acknowledge these do not remove the limescale the polarising effects do help in lessening the build up of the crud. I have recently brought a virtually new CD18R on eBay and had a couple of questions.

1) Can a non Gas Safe person replace the heat exchange in a boiler?

2) I want to store the spare exchange in a mild limescale removing liquid, what we people recommend?

The plan is to swap out the heat exchanges every year, putting the "spare" in a solution to clean out the limescale so that come the next year I have a clean one to put in the boiler.

ST

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back