Alpha pump with bypass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To help keep the return temperature low enough to allow condensing with TRVs, it was suggested to use a modulating pump like the Grundfos Alpha. So that as the TRVs close, the pump throttles the flow to compenstate. And this maintains the temp drop across the CH system?

Does the type of TRVs make a difference, if they just open/close the flow or gradually reduce it before closing complete? Just wondering it it's gradual TRVs wouldn't that throttle the flow rate and even when fully closed wouldn't a modern boiler just modulate it's burner down till the room stat turns it off then anti-cycle mode, so keep the return temp in check?

From what I understand Part L requires an automatic bypass valve to be fitted if the boiler has a minimum flow requirement. How does this affect the use of the alpha? The leafet mentions to set the bypass correctly for fixed or variable speed operation. Am I correct in assuming from the details on the leaflet recommending the C setting of 'pump pressure remains constant' for bypass systems; the pump is still automatic but to a fixed value (to keep the boiler/bypass happy), so will modulate down to but no lower than if TRVs close and pressure increases? With default B setting doing the same, but not to a specific value, so could be allowed to go lower. Rather than 'constant' meaning setting C doesn't alter the flow at all and acts like a normal pump.

Also noticed on the alpha leaflet, it mentions it is NOT recommended for combi / condensing combi boilers. Why is that?

Sponsored Links
Sorry but you seem VERY mixed up!

You have apparently read that the Alpha is not recommended for condensing boilers!

You probably dont know why this is!

Its because many, but not all, condensing boiler already have a variable speed pump and fitting an Alpha will mess up the manufacturers carefully designed unit.

Just today I went to a boiler fitted with a second external pump because the fitter thought it was better like that. Of course it stopped the boiler from working and that will cost him £84 for my visit to sort it out.

Interestingly he notified to CORGI although the flue was only 150 mm from the wall!

Tony

Ok, well could see why 2 variable pumps might fight each other and cause problems, bit like a TRV and room stat I guess. So would need to check if the condensing boiler has a built-in variable pump or not.

Was going on what the alpha leaflet said:
Applications
GRUNDFOS ALPHA+ is designed for circulating water in central heating systems and primary hot water circuits with variable heating loads where flow will vary according to the operation of modulating controls eg. thermostatic radiator valves. Alpha+ is not recommended for use in combi or condensing combi boilers.

Agile said:
Sorry but you seem VERY mixed up!

I fail to see the justification for this unnecessary comment.

You have apparently read that the Alpha is not recommended for condensing boilers!

You probably dont know why this is!

Both of these points stated by the OP. What is the benefit in repeating them?

Sponsored Links
Everyone has missed the word 'in', as in 'Not recommended for use IN combi and condensing combi boilers. I imagine that Grundfos used IN rather than WITH because they had internal pumps in mind.
(If you put an Alpha pump INto a combi in place of a regular pump, I suspect it would fail to provide enough flow within the boiler when in hot-water mode.)

You might have a point there croydoncorgi. Never looked at it like that, thought they were just for use as external pumps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back