bypass valve - manual vs auto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a bypass valve fitted between the cyclinder coil and just before the motorized valve, can anyone tell me if this is to ...

a, control the temp\flow through the coil inside the cylinder
b, like a manual ABV - to keep flow consistent when TRVs are closed on rads
c, a safety feature to provide a second path for water should the motorised valve become blocked (ie to protect the pump).

b+c don't make a lot of sence because you would want an Auto bypass valve in this scenario ?

I think the answer is A - and it is used when balancing radiators - ie you don't want full flow thru the coil as it will rob pressure for rads ?

Sponsored Links
I assume you are saying it is manual - so possibly a gate valve? If so, it cannot be a bypass if it is fitted inline with the cylinder coil as you describe. For it to be a bypass it would have to tee off to an alternate circuit.

What you have described (I think) is a simple manual flow control valve - so 'A' in your list.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back