Alternative to concrete slab for small workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been wondering what alternatives there could be to pouring a concrete slab for a small 2.5x3m workshop I’m building on the back of my garage. Part of the work we’re doing is extending the patio so I wondered about using the workshop as a practice area for laying paving. Apart from the obvious fragility of paving slabs compared to a poured concrete slab, what other considerations should be made on floor choice for the workshop?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
workshop for what? what is the rest made from?
concrete is cold.Timber is warmer to the foot
heavy stuff in there?

Its a single skin brick extension to the existing garage. Its basically just somewhere for me to fix stuff on a work bench. No heavy machinary ir anything.

don't know about cost but beam and block might be an idea?

you will still need to fill a trench with concrete

Sponsored Links
If I'm mixing concrete I may as well just pour the slab. Interesting idea though. Can imagine the costs would be quite high compared to just a basic slab.

Council slabs (the 50mm thick pavement ones) properly bedded in (well whacked hardcore then sand blinded) will be fine and not at all fragile :). Get some of those interlocking plastic soft tile things to put on top of the slabs- will be less tiring to stand on and will keep the damp down (well worth sticking a sheet of DPM under your slabs, by the way :) )

Thanks for that, I've already got a load of the foam tiles which I'd planned on laying on whatever floor choice is put in there. I'll take a look around for these big slabs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back