Aluminum Bifolding doors - Ventilation issues??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We are currently building our house and have decided to put external aluminum bifolding doors (3.6 metres) from our family room to the garden/patio. However we will have no windows in the room and are now concerned that ventilation may be a problem. We know the doors will have trickle vents but will this be enough?

Would really appreciate any comments you may have?? The builder has already started and I'm panicking now!
Many thanks
Jackie

Sponsored Links
As long as there are enough to satisfy Building Control then legally there will be enough.

This can be a down side to having only Folding Sliding Doors to a room, you have to have the door physically open to get more ventilation as if you were opening a window elsewhere.

However I believe there are manufacturers who incorporate an opening (tilting) window (s) within their Folding Sliding Door systems so you get the doors and windows so it would be worth pursuing that avenue with your supplier or changing suppliers if needs be.

Trickle vents meeting building regs are not an indication that you have enough ventilation to make the room comfortable. My ali bi-folds are 3.1m and 2.3 high, I did not have the trickle vents fitted because my Velux windows provide more than double the ventilation needed for the size of the room.

In the recent July hot spell the room has been comfortable with the Velux window vents open, however I went for top spec glass with solar reflection on my bi-folds and Velux and without this the room would have been for too hot.

If your building work has not progressed too far you can buy ventilation systems. Also I recall going to look at Solarlux bi-fold doors, I think that they had a system where by you could lock the door in a part open position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back