Aluminum radiators worth it? Best place to buy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Are aluminum rads worth the hype? Looking at a high output but they're obviously more expensive.

Looking at the following:

1702420483179.png

This is the BTU output the larges one at the bottom.

Also where is the best place for rads in general?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The outputs aren't significantly to different to the steel ones. The 1800×590 aluminium is 1978w, the 1800×590 steel is 1832w (although strangely the web page disagrees from the specification sheet for the aluminium one and actually gives that a lower figure of 1789w). I buy all my rads from Plumbase. The advantage of the aluminium ones is that they aren't as heavy, the disadvantage is that they're much more prone to corrosion from poor system water quality.

The outputs aren't significantly to different to the steel ones. The 1800×590 aluminium is 1978w, the 1800×590 steel is 1832w (although strangely the web page disagrees from the specification sheet for the aluminium one and actually gives that a lower figure of 1789w). I buy all my rads from Plumbase. The advantage of the aluminium ones is that they aren't as heavy, the disadvantage is that they're much more prone to corrosion from poor system water quality.

Thanks, from everything I've read online everyone suggests going aluminum for the additional heat advantage that's why I've come on here to check with everyone.

I don't want to make the wrong choice as it's such a large radiator and a high heating output is required for a large room.

Essentially we are saying it's not worth the additional costs? As there is negligible difference in heating up the room but in regards to weight and installation makes this easier?

Thanks, from everything I've read online everyone suggests going aluminum for the additional heat advantage that's why I've come on here to check with everyone.

I don't want to make the wrong choice as it's such a large radiator and a high heating output is required for a large room.

Common sense suggests there cannot be much difference. Aluminium, and especially copper, are both more thermally conductive, but the amount/thickness of the metal is so very thin, it presents barely any barrier to heat transfer, from the water, to the air. The big advantage, is weight saving, which usually is only important during the installation.

Sponsored Links
As suggested , lighter to fit, faster to heat up, quicker to cool down.

Additional heat, I wouldn't think so, maybe a little more efficient. Also as suggested, the system needs to be monitored to ensure it is kept PH neutral, otherwise it can start reacting.

Only other thing I will mention, which seems to be a hot topic at the moment, please do not compare column (non convecting) radiator outputs with normal TYPE 22/K2 rads when it comes to sizing rads, as they don't work the same way as far as larger space heating is concerned.

the difference is with aluminum rads or steel at a given size is they can have a larger surface area as its far easier to extrude complex shapes and fine details in alu than it is with steel and surface area is what gives you your output this is more true in designer fancy radiators

take the ultra heat visage 595x1800 2151w at dt50 that one above 1978 or 1798w if the other figure is to be believed

or this one 470x1800 2343W at dt50

Last edited:
Aluminium radiators are no more efficient than steel ones. For the same heat in they give the same heat out. The only operational differences are:
1. They feel warm sooner than steel ones.
2. They go cold sooner then steel ones.
3. You can get them in fancier shapes.

Are aluminum rads worth the hype?

No.

To deliver 1kWh of heat into the room, your boiler must deliver 1kWh in hot water and must burn 1kWh* of gas which will cost whatever the price is.

There are no energy savings.

*there are losses due to efficiency not being 100%

Yes but it doesn't mean that the rad can't be more efficient at extracting the energy from the water into the air it's why a t22 rad gives out more energy than a t21 rad of the same size because it has more surface area!

Yes, a bigger radiator will deliver heat more quickly

But it takes the same amount of energy to heat the room.

There is not an efficiency saving.

A more powerful radiator is not more efficient, it is more effective

Last edited:
A bigger rad is not more efficient but it can be run with a lower mean temperature which means a lower return temperature to a gas/oil fired boiler leading to more condensing and higher boiler efficiency = lower fuel costs.

a bigger rad can be more efficient at extracting the energy from the water flowing through it amd it will be then be more effective as an emmitter ;)

2 rads 500x1000 one gives you 1kw output the other 500 what one is more efficient at extracting the energy from the water?

keep in mind the water in the rads is the same temp so has the same energy in it

Yes, a bigger radiator will deliver heat more quickly

But it takes the same amount of energy to heat the room.

There is not an efficiency saving.

A more powerful radiator is not more efficient, it is more effective
Er.
Depends on where you draw the problem boundary.
Thermodynamic is significantly affected by time.
Time effects of larger/smaller rads can and do affect system efficiency.

Notably, bigger rads mean lower temps are required for a given quantum of heat, meaning boiler return temps are lower meaning more efficient boiler running.

Bigger rads can also affect response times meaning pumps run less often and under less resistance meaning system efficiency.

It all depends on where you look.

More Efficiency would mean 1kWh of heat is supplied but more than 1kWh comes out.

Which is impossible.

More Effectiveness would mean you install a bigger radiator, supply 2kWh of heat and 2kWh come out.

The Efficiency is not greater.

Woah didn't expect the response to this, caused a healthy debate.

The consensus being that Aluminum is not worth the hype? I thought the rad linked had a more efficient form for heating/moving the air through:

1702550394746.png

Than over the steel counterpart:

1702550427753.png

Price difference

Alu - £665
Steel - £485

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back