Aluminum Windows refresher Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking to rejuvenate the windows if that word make sense – I have some old aluminium windows which I quite like as the frame is thin (versus the large PVC that are being sold now).

I have now repainted the full bedroom wall (light grey) and woodwork (Satin brilliant White) and I have been thinking about enhancing the look of the inside windows by painting the aluminium frame - maybe like a dark grey.

Would that be recommended? Or not? And if so, what paint would you recommend?

Something to bear in mind is that the window do get condensation during the winter with the warm inside and the cold weather outside.

many thanks,

Attachments

• 20200721_212317_resized.jpg
    20200721_212317_resized.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 20200721_212331_resized.jpg
    20200721_212331_resized.jpg
    361.6 KB · Views: 154
Sponsored Links
I would avoid painting them myself.
You will need a special primer to get good adhesion, not a big problem but an extra task.
You will get all sorts of runs and drips from the recesses on the frame.
You will never get a clean line against the rubber seals.
It will chip in use unlike the original Anodised or baked on finish.
Brush painting will never get the same finish as spraying.
Condensation may cause mould which needs a good bleach type cleaner to get off, paint will get ruined quickly.

I would just give them a thorough clean with a mild cleaner (sugar soap may pit the finish) using an old tooth brush to get every crevice clean.
Then maybe a buff up with something like Mr Sheen on a cloth.

thanks so much for the input - quick question, what do you mean by "sugar soap may pit the finish" would it improve it? or damage it?

Sponsored Links
Sugar soap is quite harsh it is used to clean all the dirt from the paint before painting, it tends to slightly etch the surface helping the new paint to stick. It will tend to spoil a gloss finish, so only use if you intend to repaint.

ok cool, so fairy liquid and some Mr Sheen or extra fine wire wool with T-Cut or white spirit will be a start! :)
Will see what i have on hand available and see the outcome.
might compare both and see which one give the best result!
:)

Try Fairy first.
Might be worth trying auto scratch remover before moving on the the more aggressive T cut if you feel you need it.

This sort of thing.
mer%20scratch%20remover%20paste.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back