Am I being ripped off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a quotation for £900 incl VAT for a new fence as follows:

19m of 1.8m high timber closeboard fencing, consisting of 125x100mm weathered and recessed timber posts, concreted into the ground at appropriate centres. To these posts spike 3no 2exx3.0x75x75mm timber rails and 150x22mm gravel board, complete with centre stump. To this frame fix 1.65x125x22mm heavyduty featheredge boards with 18mm overlap. Clear site afterward of all old fencing.

This seems a bit excessive to me as the cost of materials is quite low. I will get at least one other quotation before I decide which way to go.

What do others think?

Sponsored Links
I'm in Leeds and I paid £730 for the supply and installation of 13 No 6 X 6 fence panels with concrete posts and gravel boards fitted alongside my garden which slopes downhill by about 5 foot over 30 metres so your price isn't too far off because it is a bit more labour intensive with the featheredge boards.

Why not challenge yourself and try and do it yourself? I would guess that materials would come to about £200, so it is worth doing. Most important thing is to make sure your posts are well concreted in (use postmix) and all angles are exact and levels true. From this the rails and featherboards are a doddle. invest in a chop saw (about £40 from B&Q) and impress yourself!!!

Sponsored Links
Hi

thanks for the advice - just received a quote from a different company which came in at almost £200 less than my first one, so I think I'll go with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back