Analogue CCTV

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been reading on another forum about organists having problems using CCTV systems in order to monitor conductors. The issue appears to be one of 'latency' where the transmitted picture (of the conductor) can be seconds later than the actual movements made. I'm sure the difficulty of accompanying will be obvious.

Suggestions have been made that this delay is commonplace with digital systems (which seems to be all that anyone produces these days), yet analogue CCTV systems are capable of transmitting the picture with milliseconds delay.

Any advice I can pass on, please?

Sponsored Links
Ha ha! That's the first thing I suggested. Mirrors work at the speed of light!

I also mentioned that there must be a solution, having just watched 'Easter from King's' a few days ago. They use CCTV (as the Director of Music is not visible from the organ console, even using a mirror), yet their timing is perfect.

analogue CCTV systems are capable of transmitting the picture with milliseconds delay.
You seem to have answered your own question.

There's no way to get rid of the digital video processing delay, and you could spend a LOT of money to buy professional equipment simply to reduce the delay.

Sponsored Links
The recorders are digital. But the inexpensive cameras are still analogue, surely?

The cameras use a digital imaging chip same as CCTV cameras have done for the last 30-odd years. The output is on a BNC, and the signal is basic composite video. Whether there's any inherent delay in the camera's own processing is hard to say if the camera has processing (image enhancement, iris control etc), but with a simple cam I wouldn't expect it to be any different to basic CCTV cams from 20 years ago.

The area with the most significant delay will be the monitor. LCD TVs have inbuilt processing time that delays the picture anything up to 120ms. The answer is to buy a secondhand CRT portable TV. They have no significant delay at all.

The recorders are digital. But the inexpensive cameras are still analogue, surely?

The cameras use a digital imaging chip same as CCTV cameras have done for the last 30-odd years. The output is on a BNC, and the signal is basic composite video. Whether there's any inherent delay in the camera's own processing is hard to say if the camera has processing (image enhancement, iris control etc), but with a simple cam I wouldn't expect it to be any different to basic CCTV cams from 20 years ago.

The area with the most significant delay will be the monitor. LCD TVs have inbuilt processing time that delays the picture anything up to 120ms. The answer is to buy a secondhand CRT portable TV. They have no significant delay at all.

Thanks for that information. Forwarded to the other site!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back