Ancient Stopcock not stopping flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Here are a couple of pics of my stopcock which is conveniently(!) set about 8 inches into the ground.

When I turn it fully in, the flow of cold water to the house does not completely stop. I have squirted WD40 onto the shaft of the tap which has slightly reduced the flow when fully closed but it still does not fully stop flow.

I researched how to replace the washer on a stopcock which shows to undo the larger nut (after stoping water supply in the road stop tap). I think however, all the guides are on modern stopcocks and not the one I have. I cannot see any nuts on the body of the stopcock pictured.

How do I take my stopcock apart and replace the washer?

Sponsored Links
Your best bet is to dig up, freeze and replace with new. The seat in the body of the stopcock may be worn, which means you will need to reseat it, and by that time you may as well bite the bullet and replace it. If you don't feel confident, find someone that is. Not the answer you may have been expecting, but it's the way forward :)

is this out of your boundry e.g the mains stop tap . if so, get south west water out. god knows we pay them enough money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back