External tap issue / stopcock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have an internal stopcock valve that isolates the external garden tap (normally the internal stopcock is turned off over the winter).
I turned on the stopcock valve today (first time after winter) as I wanted to use the external tap.
After turning the stopcock on, I noticed a slight leak around the spindle and also later a tiny leak around one of the compression joints on the stopcock.
However, whilst the stopcock was on I went out to turn on the external garden tap and barely any water is flowing thru (weak dribble of water)?
I have tried opening the garden tap full, and the same applies to the internal stopcock. However no joy.
Also tried turning the stopcock off and on a few times and its the same. The leak around the spindle of the stockcock and one of the connecting joints continues to leak when the stopcock is open.
For now, I've turned off the stopcock and the leaks have stopped.

As per what I've described, does this sound to be likely an issue with the internal stopcock that needs replacing?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20240225-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20240225-WA0001.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-20240225-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20240225-WA0002.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-20240225-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240225-WA0003.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG-20240225-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240225-WA0004.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
Does your outside tap have a check valve incorporated within it ?
If so ,loosen the tap where it connects to the wall plate to see if water flows from the pipework.
The leaks on the stopcock are very likely unrelated to the garden tap not giving water out.

Does your outside tap have a check valve incorporated within it ?
If so ,loosen the tap where it connects to the wall plate to see if water flows from the pipework.
The leaks on the stopcock are very likely unrelated to the garden tap not giving water out.
I'm not sure what I'm looking for....but this is the outside tap.
The leaks i guess are just signs of age of the stopcock. I was curious if the was a possibility that the internal mechanism was at fault? i.e. wont open fully enough to allow flow? However i am able to close off the stopcock without issue i.e. external taps stops any the weak dribble of flow.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-25 at 17.18.05_e4b998eb.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-25 at 17.18.05_e4b998eb.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 26
Your outside tap doesn't have an integral check valve. There is one on the pipework internally ,just after the stopcock.
As said ,unscrew the external tap from the wall plate to see if water is flowing from the pipework.

Sponsored Links
Your outside tap doesn't have an integral check valve. There is one on the pipework internally ,just after the stopcock.
As said ,unscrew the external tap from the wall plate to see if water is flowing from the pipework.
I assume if there is flow, then its a faulty external tap.
However, in the event there is still lack of flow....would suggest
1) fault on the internal stopcock?
2) an issue with the integral check valve?
Which of these 2 would be likely?

Sorry for lack of knowledge. what does the integral check valve do....and how likely it that to fail or cause issue.

No 2 ,the check valve.
Hi,

Got someone in to look, but typically when they came out to test the external tap worked!?
Anyways ended up getting the stopcock replaced and also it looks like the non-return valve is broken (from the inside)?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-28 at 11.16.04_e2d477c0.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-28 at 11.16.04_e2d477c0.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 33
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-28 at 11.16.04_b9d5ce82.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-28 at 11.16.04_b9d5ce82.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 31
It certainly looks broken ,did you have that replaced as well as the stopcock ?

Thanks Terry. Yes I got both items replaced. All good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back