Another Air in system problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

After recently turning our heating on full time we have been experiencing an air pulsing noise from the hot water pump. The noise suggests its trying to pump an air lock through the pipes as it starts and then the noise slowly disappears after about 15 - 20 sec. Happens mostly in the mornings once or twice day.

I assumed the radiators needed bleeding and found one to be the problem, however its not gone away and I need to bleed this one radiator daily... air can be heard bubbling into the radiator and pipes.

Our boiler is baxi solo - 50 / 4 RS, we have a header tank in the attic which about 8 weeks ago overflowed out of the overflow pipe.

Whilst technically I am very good... plumbing is not one of my areas so any help or advice I would be extremely grateful as the system is working very well apart from this so hope its a DIY fix.

Many thanks,

Simon
Northants

Sponsored Links
is the tank full now and is it filling up when you vent the rads ,make sure the ballvalve is letting the water into the tank and no valves are off on the cold feed from the tank

again it sounds like pumping over into tank,turn pump down and see how you go keep boiler stat to no 3 and it shouldnt pump over

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much,

Just to check - the pump has 3 settings 1,2,3. There is a silver (large) dial with a slat through it however it does not indicate what it is currently set at. I assume turning this anti clockwise will decrease the RPM! My question is how much should I turn as it has no markings just as a arrow indicating clockwise and anticlockwise - I hope that makes sense.

Simon

Sorry ignore me, found it on the side. It was set at 2 so I will chnage to 1 and ensure boiler at 3.

Would you suggets bleeding rads again after these adjustments.

turn heating off when venting rads,as its best done so its filling on gravity,not getting pushed by the pump

see how you go now,keep the boiler at 3 so its not building up to the hieghest temp at the boiler ,but your rads and water will still be really hot,its just not staying on until its at its limit

this could be another case of dirt in the system, look in f&e tank to see if there dirt in it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back