Another first fix question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am installing 4, 2x75W halogen security lights and each is on a radial 1mm T&E back to the area of the consumer unit. Is there any reason why they could not all be controlled from one double pole fused spur unit, itself suppled from a short length of 1mm T&E from it's own 6A MCB on the RCD board. It is much easier to wire it this way, rather than daisy chaining them.

A long time ago, my electrician, at the time, said that there shouldn't be more than two wires in a breaker on a CU or in any neutral or earth way in a CU.

That is the reason for my question. Is it true re the CU and would my suggestion be appropriate for my lights. There are three wires when a spur is taken off a ring socket but I thought I should check with the pros for my lights as there would be four in each of the load terminals.

All helpful advice gratefully received

Sponsored Links
What you suggest is fine. No need for a fused spur though, just use a normal light switch. Do you need to put it in its own breaker or can you go into a local lighting circuit?

Thanks sparkyspike

I didn't think I could get four wires into light switch terminals but I have boxes of both for my second fix so I'll look.

I've always felt more comfortable having outside things on their own breaker rather than added on the back of indoor ones probably for no reason, now that I think about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back