Another Leaking Roof Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to my flat roof question, I have discovered another problem up at the ridge this time.

Nice big hole letting water in for over a year. Here is the view from the top.

DSCN0050.JPG

As you can see the ridge wood has rotten away. Also the main support beams shown below with arrow are very soft at the ridge directly under where you see the hole.

wood.jpg

What do you guys recommend? I can of course repair the flashing at the chimney etc. But what do I do about the rotten main beams? Can I add new and cut out rotten part?

Sponsored Links
I had a similar situation to you. 3 rafters were rotten below the ridge board. I just sistered them with new timber of similar size (tight fit against ridge board) using coach bolts.

There is no ridge tree on this roof. That would run along the roof apex and the rafters would sit on either side of the tree. Here the rafters are resting against one another.
I would position another horizontal beam across the strongest lower parts of the end rafters but before that fit secondary rafters alongside and resin bolt them to the wall a surveyor will tell you that you need at least three. You won't be able to coach bolt this successfully as the wall to close to the other side of the beam leaving no room.
This will then take the pressure of the rotten closed boards roof side so just replace with flashing.

Sponsored Links
Another issue you need to look at is from the first picture in the other thread the slates have no bonding so must be letting water in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back