Another Nest query...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed a nest learning thermostat but cannot get it to trigger the boiler into firing. I'm assuming I have miswired something somewhere.
Manual heating will not work either.

I have a Potterton Profile 60e boiler.

Hopefully I have attached:
20201227_202450.jpg

my nest wiring (will be tidied just trying to get the damned thing working first)
20201227_140446.jpg

Wiring of the old timer control
20201227_140006.jpg

Wiring of the control box
20201227_172044.jpg

And wiring of the old thermostat.

Any help/advice appreciated as I'm learning as I go.

Sponsored Links
I assume that you have removed the 'old timer control' and the wires now go to the Heat link instead.

The old room thermostat needs to be by-passed, it can't just be disconnected otherwise the heating wiring will be 'open circuit' and not operate. The brown wires in thermostat terminals L and 3 should be connected together. This can be done at the thermostat end by installing a junction box where the thermostat is, put the two brown wires in one terminal and isolate the neutral in another. Or better still, done at the terminals where the cable originates from, and then the old cable and thermostat can be removed completely. To do this, the cable is removed and a link inserted to join together the terminals where the two live wires have been taken out of.

Whilst there are wires are in the Heat link where I would expect to see them, there is also a lot wrong with it. So, I am assuming it is a work in progress and you intend to finish it properly. However it shouldn't really be powered up in its current state.

1) The outer sheath of the cables should be securely fixed under the cable clamps at the bottom
2) There shouldn't be any copper 'whiskers' poking out of the terminals. If they touch and create a 'short circuit' you are asking for trouble
3) Green / yellow wires would normally indicate an earth wire. It's bad practice to use them as live conductors. As a minimum they should have a brown sleeve over them to show their true use.

Edit:

Here's a typical installation, no copper on show, cables secured and brown sleeves fitted to indicate a live wire where the colour used would normally indicate an alternative use.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back