1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Another question about 2 part wood filler

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by Ambernewbie, 29 Feb 2020.

1. Ambernewbie

Ambernewbie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have now moved on to a staircase. It is old wood with a deep groove (part of the pattern) which i want to fill up because it is hard to clean. I successfully completed the task on one side but it took quite a lot of the filler. and i found it difficult to use. So my question is if I put a bead of decorators caulk in the groove to just below where I want it would i then be able to fill the rest with the filler? Would it stick to the caulk? I hope I have explained what i need to know :)

2. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In theory it would be ok but given that caulk shrinks, you might need to wait a few days before you can apply the 2 pack. additionally you need to make sure there are no traces of the caulk on the surface otherwise it will rip when you sand the 2 pack.

When filling something like that I am happy to build the 2 pack filler up in stages if need be.

Be advised that if the detail you are trying to eliminate is a v profile, in a few years the 2 pack filler may be very slightly pushed out. A quick resand is normally all that is required.

3. Ambernewbie

Ambernewbie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Thank you for your reply - i went with your advice and built the 2 part up - took longer but happy with results.

• Like Like x 1
Sponsored Links