Another question about 2 part wood filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have now moved on to a staircase. It is old wood with a deep groove (part of the pattern) which i want to fill up because it is hard to clean. I successfully completed the task on one side but it took quite a lot of the filler. and i found it difficult to use. So my question is if I put a bead of decorators caulk in the groove to just below where I want it would i then be able to fill the rest with the filler? Would it stick to the caulk? I hope I have explained what i need to know :)

Sponsored Links
In theory it would be ok but given that caulk shrinks, you might need to wait a few days before you can apply the 2 pack. additionally you need to make sure there are no traces of the caulk on the surface otherwise it will rip when you sand the 2 pack.

When filling something like that I am happy to build the 2 pack filler up in stages if need be.

Be advised that if the detail you are trying to eliminate is a v profile, in a few years the 2 pack filler may be very slightly pushed out. A quick resand is normally all that is required.

In theory it would be ok but given that caulk shrinks, you might need to wait a few days before you can apply the 2 pack. additionally you need to make sure there are no traces of the caulk on the surface otherwise it will rip when you sand the 2 pack.

When filling something like that I am happy to build the 2 pack filler up in stages if need be.

Be advised that if the detail you are trying to eliminate is a v profile, in a few years the 2 pack filler may be very slightly pushed out. A quick resand is normally all that is required.

Thank you for your reply - i went with your advice and built the 2 part up - took longer but happy with results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back