Ants in the soil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have lots of ants in our garden soil and also in a patch of the adjacent meadow we 'maintain'.
I want to ask the farmer who owns the meadow if we can turn the patch we 'maintain', (basically just keep it mowed to prevent nettles invading our garden), into a small veg patch. However, I'm worried the ants will just decimate anything we try to plant there.
What can I use to get rid of the ants but won't damage/poison and veg we try to grow there?
Looking at maybe a few spuds, carrots, broccoli and perhaps runner beans and tomatoes.

Sponsored Links
Nippon gel (they call it liquid) in a miniature tube like for toothpaste.

But I don't think ants eat vegetables.

Boric Acid powder, its an antiseptic for people, but poison for insects. It is water soluble though, so can be washed away by the rain. Put a cover over the pile you pour into one of the ant nest entrances.

Nippon gel (they call it liquid) in a miniature tube like for toothpaste.

But I don't think ants eat vegetables.

I used to grow tomatoes along a south facing fence but when ants invaded my garden they dug around the roots and destroyed them. :mad:
Now i'm locked in an annual series of battles to contain the scurrying sods.
Ant powder is my preferred tactic, and i keep a close eye on their preferred hideouts to keep them under control; especially at the end of July through August when they send up their flying battalions.

Sponsored Links
Nippon liquid will kill a nest in days, because the foragers take it back to share.

Some ant powder is organo-phosphates as used in Salisbury a while ago. Some of the Nippon stuff is organophosphate, but I believe some of the liquid is just sugar, thickener and boric acid.

Problem solved. I spoke to the farmer and he actually leases the land from the council, therefore he can't give permission.
Thanks for the answers guys. I'll now try to deal with the ones in the garden instead. Hopefully some may be from the other nests and transport any poison back there as a bonus.

I'll now try to deal with the ones in the garden instead. Hopefully some may be from the other nests and transport any poison back there as a bonus.

I've not tried this myself but i read of a trick using aniseed - apparently they're attracted to the smell and will follow a trail away from your garden.
(Although that might attract an unusual number of dogs to your house, as they love the odour, too.)

Personally, i don't think there's a foolproof way to kill 'em all; like cockroaches, they have an in-built indestructability that'll survive anything.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back