Making a mini vegetable garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My better half wants to make a little vegetable garden for our daughter to grow some veg etc. Last year they grew some carrots and strawberries in pots and she loved growing them and eating them.

The strawberries we will leave in the pots, but we wanted to make a little vegetable area for other things.

Aldi currently have a little raised border type kit - 1m x 1m x 0.2m - basically just 4 planks of wood.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_17629.htm?WT.mc_id=2011-02-14-16-11

She wants to grow things like potatoes, carrots, lettuce, runner beans.

The area I have in mind to put something like this is against a fence so could have some trellis up it for runner beans etc.

The area would get sun for about 6-7 hours a day (well when we get sun in this country!) It's currently quite good general soil - I cleared a straggly bush and some other bits from it last year but it was part of a border.

Obviously I'll need to fill it with soil, I'll have a little of the border bit as I level it, and from the picture you don't fill it right up, so I'm guessing I'll need 100L or so.

What type of soil do I get though??

Aldi also have some "Seed and Potting Compost" at 99p for 20L will that be the right stuff? They also have some seeds etc - will these be OK or is it better to buy from a reputable place?

Any other tips?

Sponsored Links
Helo sotal, just a few ideas for you here, you could incorporate some john innes loam into the soil or if you look in your local add paper you may see an add for people offering free soil to take away, or look at one of those internet sites where people give things away for free, regards the veg, then potaotes would take to much room up in a small area, best to use potato grow sacks, yes grow beans up the trellis and a row of lettuce, and you could even grow some peas,, at the front of the small plot whynot grow a row of shallots, then onions then salad onions and also spring onions, else where in the garden you could try cougettes all the above are very easy to grow with a little tlc, watch for slugs and water well in dry periods slugs will not be a problem for your onions and shallots, i think its great to encourage young ones to get into gardening and growing veg will certainly do that and hopefully it will stay with your daughter,hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back