Any advice on fitting my secondary glazing *help*

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I've had some secondary glazing windows made up (for soundproofing and heat) and i will be installing 2 of them this weekend but would appreciate any input on fitting.
Such as:

1) Whats the best distance from the window.
(my window reveall is 290mm and 160mm deep so plenty of room.
I know its best to have at least 100mm clearance, but should i make them as far as possible?

2) what specials tools might i require?

3) as the frames wont be a perfect fit, what filler should I use? (especially for soundproofing)

4) I have roller blinds in my window reveal, should i have them inbetween the windows or not.

5) what size screw, and how many should I use to fix it to the reveal/

6) and any other tips or tricks would be appreciated before I make a balls up of it :)

Hopefully you can help me out.
Thanks in advance

View media item 55978
[

Sponsored Links
a little bump.. (as it would be great to have a little bit of advice on this one..)

Thanks (hopefully) :mrgreen:

kuztardd";p="2659701 said:
Hello everyone,

I've had some secondary glazing windows made up (for soundproofing and heat) and i will be installing 2 of them this weekend but would appreciate any input on fitting.
Such as:

1) Whats the best distance from the window.
Bigger gap the better and will make it easier to open outer window.

2) what specials tools might i require?

Nothing special -spirit level a must.

3) as the frames wont be a perfect fit, what filler should I use? (especially for soundproofing)
Decorators caulk

4) I have roller blinds in my window reveal, should i have them inbetween the windows or not.
Whatever you wish.

5) what size screw, and how many should I use to fix it to the reveal/

Depends on the frame, you need 3-4 fixing along each edge and screws need to penetrate wall by at least 35mm

6) and any other tips or tricks would be appreciated before I make a balls up of it :)

Take care not to over tighten frame as it with distort .
Drill too close to the edge and it will break out.

Thanks for that. I really appreciate it.

Since my reveal is not quite square, yet the window frame will be, there will be at least 5-7mm space between the reveal and the frame in a few places, what should I use to fill this gap, as I presume the caulk isnt for such sized gaps.

Sponsored Links
Caulk will be fine but the spaces with need packers first to avoid distortion.
Or you could add a small trim to hide gaps [after filling with caulk].

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back