Any good reasons for replacing a primatic cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am just about to buy a house that has a primatic cylinder for the storage of hot water. The surveyor has told me that I may want to update this.

Does anyone know what the drawbacks of this type of cylinder are? Are there any good reasons to update it? Are they inefficient?

Many thanks for anyones views on this subject.

Sponsored Links
YOu can NOT put any inhibitor in the central heating side.
This can be a draw back i.e corrosion.
I've just replaced a primatic for an indirect cylinder (also need a new f&e tank )because the radiators were corroding and one had developed a leak in a 15 year old system.

I had a house with a primatic. No real problems with it but had to replace it when making alterations. Replaced with a fully pumped indirect cylinder. Found that it heated the water faster than the old primatic.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your views everyone. It looks like I should consider upgrading it in the not too distant future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back