Primatic cylinder replacement problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all , the system is a conventional boiler with gravity dhw and pumped heating , there is a small primatic cylinder and the cylinder is leaking , The cylinder has to be replaced which is where the problems start the house is a dormer bungalow and the cylinder is in a void upstairs , the smallest primatic cylinder available is to big and wont fit in, so I thought about putting a normal cylinder in and adding a header tank but cant get any pipes from the loft down to the cylinder, so now I am thinking of a normal cylinder and making the heating circuit a pressurised system by adding a filling loop and an expansion vesel ,question is will the gravity water work ok or will it have to be fully pumped and will the antiquated boiler take the pressure ok ???? . :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You cannot pressurise a boiler unless it has an over heat protection device :!:

The problem with replacing the boiler is that it is in the middle of the house and the flue is copex going up the chimney

Sponsored Links
Loads of old boilers cannot be converted to a sealed systemso don't even think about without passing the boiler make and model to us

I wish I could put in a f and e tank but there is no way I can get one in anywhere .

My son`s got a wierd small tank affair on the hot outlet of his cyl. feeding the C/Heating :eek: ..I`ts the 2nd one I`ve seen in 30 years :LOL: ...Now It`s gotta come out ....so maybe I could send it to you for the postage :?: I haven`t a clue how it works but it must be some sort of remote "primatic" caper ..........anyone know :?: my e-mail`s in my profile.......It`ll spur me on to remove it and fit a proper f+e tank :LOL:

Under partl you cant leave a system on gravity without some control over hot water also we are finding that newer cylinders have a higher resistance so gravity circulation won't occur.Have you thought about a combi

but you can buy clinders with gravity coils that are part L, also if the existing cylinder is not to be fully pumped then a 2 port valve and cyl stat will sufice (min set of controls)

it sounds like your system is knackered, why throw good money after bad? convert your system to sealed and water pressure/flow permitting (iam assuming you live in a 1 bathroom property)install a combi

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back