any good websites please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone point me to some good websites, I want to fit a basic comi system, ( not the gas work) I would like to do most of the water pipe work, and mounting myself.

I would like some encouragement, and pointers from some good sites and people.

good places to buy, and all that

the pro`s on here tend to say don't do it, but this is a diy site?

thank you

Darren

Sponsored Links
It is NOT illegal in any way for you to install your own combi boiler PROVIDED YOU ARE COMPETENT. Are you and how do you know.

It has cost me several thousand pounds for me to prove it! What with CORGI, OFTEC, and CITB unvented.

A DIY'er can simply say he is but how many could pass even the first hurdle of gas assessments - and that is only concerned with gas SAFETY. Zero perhaps!

Do you even know the type of fittings that are permitted to be used and why?

But yes whilst the law permits it, pro's will always, rightly, discourage it for the above reason. What however always gripes me is that having carried out the work, normally without getting the legally required building control permissions that the DIY'er then finds it hard to understand why a pro is reluctant to comission their work.

Incidently whilst a DIY'er can install a gas boiler he cannot install an unvented cylinder. They are controlled devices. They can, and have, behave like a bomb taking half the house with them.

Alan

I think darren was saying that he wanted to do all the pipework (and radiators maybe?)for the water and mount the boiler on the wall. And then presumably get a corgi registered person to do all the gas piping and connecting up to the combi. Is that right Darren. Would a CORGI person refuse to do that? Do CoRGI people insist on installing every aspect of a central heating system themselves?

well there you all go again, I did say Not the Gas! do you also really thing that any diy person would be as good as a pro, who does it day in day out........

I said the rads and the pipes please, and maybe mount the boiler in the Legal place.

Did I not say Combi, (Unvented tank?)

( thanks peter you were correct)

just would like some links or idears to help out

Sponsored Links
what specifically do you want advice on? hanging radiators, running the non gas pipework etc is easily within the scope of any DIY'er. Also, as far as I am aware, it does not take any special skill to core a hole, the trick is making sure you know where the hole will appear on the other side of the wall!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back