Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all,

I've just finished up laying a porcelain patio seen below...... The difficulty I now face is what to do about this awkward step face I am left with. This is approximately 60mm in depth and was, previously hidden by some decking timber before the deck was replaced.

My thoughts so far have been to bulk it out with battens fixed to the brick, calcium silicate board mounted on those, then red brick slips on that to match the house.

Unfortunately full bricks will be too deep.

I'm not sure just how deep a render / concrete filler can go which might negate the need for battens and board?

If anyone has any ideas they would be very gratefully recieved!

I also have some spare tiles left over if something can be fashioned from those.

Thanks folks!

IMG_20220814_165921.jpg
IMG_20220814_165931.jpg

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
I’m not sure if it’s permissible, but do as suggested, but perhaps 3 course high in bricks and slab on top? That way, the step out from the door isn’t as deep.

Last edited:
It requires two steps (treads). Simple. It's essential that the first step out is up near the door threshold in terms of height. Only an idiot would design a step out of a building with a large drop. Dangerous.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Sponsored Links
It requires two steps (treads). Simple. It's essential that the first step out is up near the door threshold in terms of height. Only an idiot would design a step out of a building with a large drop. Dangerous.
Of course (y)

Yes I do agree that the step out from our kitchen is higher than comfortable! Unfortunately the previous owners did the rear landscaping and decking etc.

It might just be an idea to get a brickie in then to rectify the step situation and have the whole step redone with new brick underneath.

Thanks for the replies guys

Reactions: CBW
Nice job on the porcelain, that’s one thing I haven’t plucked up the courage to try.

@noseall , top work as ever. With the Indian sandstone ones, you using geofix type stuff to joint them? What’s your finish - bucket handle it? Tuck point it flat? Or just brush in and leave?

@noseall , top work as ever. With the Indian sandstone ones, you using geofix type stuff to joint them? What’s your finish - bucket handle it? Tuck point it flat? Or just brush in and leave?
Tooled with a pointer or brick jointer then finished with a brick jointer. Never just brushed in - always compressed.

Yes I do agree that the step out from our kitchen is higher than comfortable! Unfortunately the previous owners did the rear landscaping and decking etc.

It might just be an idea to get a brickie in then to rectify the step situation and have the whole step redone with new brick underneath.

Thanks for the replies guys
Have the steps built so that they encompass the doors only. The additional step to the right of the door up to the fence looks bulky and unneeded.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back