Any (Long Term) Experiences with Zenith (Solid/Compact Laminate) Worktops?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has fitted Zenith or Tufnol or Trespa (Solid/Compact Laminate) Countertops and has been using it for a few years now?! (I know it looks wonderful once it's fitted, but I wonder how it performs after it's been used).

Are there any complaints (after a few years of usage) for
- marks/scratches on the top
- chips/breakage on the edges
- problems with undermount sinks
- problems with drainer grooves in the worktop
- or any kind of problems/complaints/regrets in the long run?!

We're strongly considering this Cadeira Zenith Worktop:
https://www.worktop-express.co.uk/solid-laminate-worktops/zenith-worktops/caldeira-zenith-worktops

But I don't see many "Long Term" reviews,
and I don't know if this is because this is a good product and there are now problems with it
- or because there is some issue with it and most people choose a different kind of countertop to install.. :)

Thx in advance!

P.S.: In some places this type of worktop is also called HPL or TUFNOL or TRESPA:
12.5mm thin, Zenith is made up of a black core created from layers of kraft paper impregnated with PHENOLIC RESIN, a decorative paper is then placed on either side along with an overlay paper and impregnated with melamine resin to create a durable, waterproof and stylish worksurface.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
How long has it actually been around? Assuming that it behaves like any other HPL (and I can't see why it wouldn't) it will be no more or less susceptible to scratches than a post-formed laminate worktop or an HPL changing room cubicle - basically they're all made with phenolic resin, like Tufnol. I know from making Tufnol components in the past (including the aforementioned cubicles) that it can chip if you drop sharp/heavy items on the edges because phenolic resins are brittle. Sorry that these are just general comments about phenolic resin products in general.

It’s basically the same stuff as they use in laboratory worktops known as trespa and it’s used in commercial toilet cubicles.

The face is as strong as a normal laminate worktop and the core is almost as hard and totally impervious to water.

I don’t have it, so can’t give user experience, but my guess is it is one of the most resilient worktops available.

I guess the face can get scratched like normal worktop so that probably determines it’s lifespan (apart from fashion)

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for the quick responses.

Special Thanks to JobAndKnock for this remark:
"..it can chip if you drop sharp/heavy items on the edges because phenolic resins are brittle." - I was looking for these kind of potential problems..

Thank you Notch7 for the examples, where it's most commonly used - I can keep my eyes open now and look out for these, I might find some examples in my town when I go for some errands..

Yes, I did mean PHENOLIC RESIN countertop:
12.5mm thin, Zenith is made up of a black core created from layers of kraft paper impregnated with PHENOLIC RESIN, a decorative paper is then placed on either side along with an overlay paper and impregnated with melamine resin to create a durable, waterproof and stylish worksurface.

Yes, it seems to be very tough material (lots of other DIY people say they broke several blades while trying to cut it - so I would order it with cut outs / cut to size)..
(The most common negative review I found about this is the installation, more specifically is cutting this hard material, which I would avoid by ordering it cut to size).

Most people who leaves review are very happy with it - but they usually leave review a few days after installation, when it gets hardly any use - and I wonder if any complaints from people who have installed it and have been for years..

I don't see many "Long Term" reviews, and I don't know that this is because this is a good product and there are now problems with it - or because there is some issue with it and most people choose a different kind of countertop to install.. :)

Yes, it seems to be very tough material (lots of other DIY people say they broke several blades while trying to cut it - so I would order it with cut outs / cut to size)..
(The most common negative review I found about this is the installation, more specifically is cutting this hard material, which I would avoid by ordering it cut to size).
I seem to recall that for the cubicles made from this stuff the manufacturer's recommend PCD saw blades and router cutters. The saw blades are basically what you use for cement fibre board (although Festool have done a special grind, extra hard carbide blade for the product for quite a few years - 160mm only), however the dust is horrendous (smells and tastes peppery, causes sneezing and makes your eyes water) so you need to cut outdoors with a plunge saw and good extraction. PCD router cutters cost a fortune

I wonder if any complaints from people who have installed it and have been for years..

I don't see many "Long Term" reviews, and I don't know that this is because this is a good product and there are now problems with it
I get the feeling that it hasn't been around long enough in kitchen use for there to be many long term users. An example to demonstrate this - Trend (who are normally in fairly sharp getting routing jigs, tooling and aids for new kitchen products) introduced a worktop jig with provision to handle Trespa/HPL worktops only late last year, which sort of indicates relatively limited market penetration before that. Also, do a search for HPL worktops in this forum and you'll probably find no references more than a year old

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back