Any paint experts around?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my first post so thanks in advance for taking your time to read it.

I have just recently started to repaint a wooden surround for my fire and I'm having a few issues with the top coat of paint, would be grateful of any advice.

The wooden surround is actually mdf, I abraded the surface to remove the shine and gave it a coat if zinnser 123 primer, I followed it up with two coats of dulux undercoat and finally one coat of fortress trade satin. The satin went on about 54 hours ago but it's still not cured. The paint has dried but still feels soft, I'm guessing the top coat is a load of rubbish? If I try abrading with 600 grit the top coat will just start to come off where the paint is not hard!

Can anyone shed some light into what I am doing wrong, apologies in advance for being clueless !

Sponsored Links
I had exactly the same trouble with fortress black on a step last year, utter rubbish!
I ended up cleaning it all off with white spirit and using another brand (in my case Blackfriars satin black) that was fine.

Just use a good brand like Dulux, Blackfriar's, Johnstones and you will be fine
:D

I have read that it can take 7 days to fully cure, is that just wishful thinking? How can a company get away with selling a paint that doesn't cure, it's preposterous!

Used Fortress paint at the front of my house, brilliant white - dried yellow

Sponsored Links
Out of interest I googled Fortress paint not drying.
Four hits on the first page!

Nothing you have done wrong Zinsser 123 is excellent and Dulux undercoat has never given me any trouble.

Far from being an expert on painting (though, as I can p*ss, I suppose I am an expert by default ;) ), my brother used some Fortress on his back door. It took ages to cure, but never properly. Started wearing off very quickly, like it hadn't adhered properly.

Shame that you started well with quality products, only to finish off with paint that is total garbage.

You may get more help about rectifying in the decorating dept.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=12

Back